to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, July 25, 2014

Ain't no shame in it

I finally figured out how to get the personal stuff concerning my husband that wonderful people all around the world are waiting to hear away from my business blog.

This will now be my personal blog and

HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

will be all business. Yay! (it took me long enough to come up with that smart thinking, huh? ) So if you want quilt designs and stuff...Go there! if you want to hear about Jerry or other life matters, come here :)

Now that being said, I have a bunch of people waiting to hear what is going on with Jerry so this is the easiest way to get the word out and thank everyone who has supported us in prayer and those that have shopped over at Ozark Fabric on facebook patiently waiting when I am slow to ship due to not being able to work, etc.

For those that don't know, Jerry has been feeling very sick again. I mean to the point of lots of missed work and tons of worry on his wife. (that would be me -- the worry wort). We've been going to doctors and getting tests. Today we found out what is PROBABLY the case. (Wont know for sure until we get a biopsy on his liver in the next couple of weeks. )

Background: in 2001 Jerry had colon cancer. During this time he had blood transfusions and contracted Hep C. Now Hep C is always one of those things that people shush shush don't talk about but, seriously, where's the shame in getting a blood transfusion?? So fast forward to today...

For the last two years Jerry has been on medication for his Chron's which affect the liver and can aggravate Hep C. Well guess what? yep. Its all aggravated. His ultrasound showed his liver and his spleen are enlarged.

Jerry's symptoms match liver disease symptoms:

Extreme fatigue
itchy skin but not dry
confusion
and some TMI we wont mention.

Couple this with all his other problems from Chrons and thyroid disease..well no wonder he has been very very sick. His Chron's is flaring a bit but they can't treat it due to his liver.

So... the next steps.

He gets a biopsy in the next couple of weeks (no date set yet.)
Then after that it actually takes two months to even get the treatment started. There is ...get this... a waiting list! And they also have to have time to fight the insurance company. One of the two pills that he will be taking every day for 12 weeks cost $1000 a pill. So...the insurance companies don't like that at all.

Once he finally gets to start he will be treated for 12 weeks. Success rate is 93% that after treatment his Hep C will be cured.

When mentioning the fact that he misses TONS of work with all his health issues and asking if we should consider disability..the answer was NO WAY if he wants this pill. So... for the next say 5 months he has to go to work a sick man and life will be tough for the hillbilly home because the rest of the time..he sticks to bed.

But..there is hope that there is an end in sight for at least this health issue. So he can focus on all the other ones.

Understanding, of course, we don't know a total for sure about any of this until he gets his biopsy.

Hillbilly (that's me) is happy to have answers. I was so scared about his liver. You always hear when it goes..well then you know. And we didn't know if he could be treated due to his other stuff. But he can so.. RELIEF!!!!!!!!!

Thank you my friends. You've supported us well.

16 comments:

Franni said...

Tonya
You and Jerry have been thru so much. I am glad you have some answers and know there is a treatment. Take care of you because sometimes fighting these insurance companies can drain you. Prayers to the family. If you need someone to talk to i am here for you <3
Love ya
Franni

Belinda said...

Wow! I'm glad there is an answer to the issue. We will all continue to pray about and I know God will see you through.

mountainlaurelfarm said...

Glad there is an answer and a solution. Are there any palliative treatments he can start now? Shame he has to suffer for another 5 or 6 months.

Tami C said...

So glad that you finally have some answers and are in a position that you can see that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel! Prayers to your family!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Sounds like a bunch of good news!!!!

carla said...

Oh Goodness Sweetie!!! Sending hugs and prayers for all of you!!!

carla said...

Oh Goodness Sweetie!!! Sending hugs and prayers for all of you!!!

MichaelleL said...

So happy to hear you got some answers and they're working on a plan. It'll be a rough couple of months but know that we're hear for you :) hugs for all of you.

elliek said...

So glad that you have some tentative answers and that treatment is available.So sad that you have to wait so long for it and have to fight for the tablets. You all will be in my prayers and thoughts. Stay positive and you know ( we have proof) miracles do happen. Wish I was closer but from one side of the world to the other huge hugs to you all.

elliek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dora, the Quilter said...

I'm so glad you are closer to an answer and treatment. Of course you will remain in my prayers!

barbara woods said...

prayers, hope every thing gets better soon

Jacque said...

You know you are all in my prayers....take care!

PamsPretties57 said...

Hiya Tonya!!! So glad to hear that you have found some answers and have positive possibilities ahead. Just remember to take care of yourself too. I hope the insurance deal won't be too bad, and that they approve of the meds ASAP. Will be sending lots of love and healing energy your way. Love and hugs, blessed be!!!

PS I'm signed up now to receive both blogs YAY!!!

Pokey said...

Hi, tonya, glad that there is hope for the health frustrations. I am barely keeping up these days, but it's good to catch you on this post. Hang in there!
Hugs, pokey

Carla said...

I was wondering how things were going. I'm so far behind as always that I thought maybe I had just missed a post from.
I was actually hoping that things were better. But hopefully you'll have some answers.You hang in there.
I was up that way in May when my Dad was diagnoised with cancer and again in August when my step Mom(his wife) passed unexpectantly and each time I thought of you and wished I had time to look you up. You never know one day. Since May my dad has made the 100 mile trip to KU every week for chemo. My thoughts and Prayers along with Hugs from Texas.