My friends, here's a crazy one for you. Jerry is home.
I am going to describe a few things that happened this weekend; just so you can enjoy a bit of this coaster ride, you know? (I used to love coasters, I think I am very tired of riding them now.)
Friday--Jerry goes in for stroke and needs blood transfusion--2 bags.
Saturday--Neurologist comes in to warn us that he could have another stroke any time. Informs us that he read the MRI and that Jerry's had multiple strokes since his last MRI a couple of weeks ago. Says there is not a thing anyone could do. I ask him chanced of Jerry having a massive stroke and he said very very high chance.
Sunday-- (I think we should call this the Day of Doom Tunnel or something.) Upon my arrival I note that Jerry has had another stroke, although only I can tell yet. As the day progresses his nurse notices the signs. Calls the neurologist--nothing he can do just let him go. * Weekend on call practitioner shows up--wants to schedule surgery to remove Jerry's colon asap. He wants to get the bleeding stopped, then Jerry can get on blood thinners to stop strokes. Doctor is very concerned; was blunt that a massive stroke could happen anytime. * Weekend GI doc comes in. Says there is no way Jerry can have surgery. The bleeding is up high, coming from esophagus. There is nothing anyone can do but let it heal on its own. The sores are too massive to cauterize. * Jerry's lost so much blood in two days he has to have 2 more transfusions. * After docs leave, we cry some tears, make some plans. I call Jerry's family, Jerry works on writing letters and telling me who gets what of his possessions.
Monday--wait all day, never see a single doc until evening. GI doc (different one from the group) comes and and washes his hands of Jerry because he is too complex of a case. Says he's transferring Jerry back to KU. (we would have gone there first if we weren't coming in for the stroke. We really like the neurologist at Liberty...alot..and that is all we thought we were dealing with this go around) * Not ten minutes later Jerry's regular practitioner comes in. He says, no he's not transferring Jerry to KU, in fact hes sending him home on Tuesday if Jerry's hemoglobin count is good.
Tuesday--Jerry sees some therapists for his left arm due to a small loss of movement. Never sees another doc until after 5. Doc comes in and says hes sending Jerry home right then. And get this..doc says Jerry CAN return to work. (insert very frustrating ugh.)
Wednesday (today) Jerry has to return to hospital for lab work to watch his hemoglobin and will return every 48 hours for a time. Especially after they decide that he can go on blood thinners.
An observation: If Jerry had not had woken with the stroke on Friday, I am not sure how things would have progressed. It has been very typical through this entire process for me to just let him sleep hours on end. If he would have just laid down and gone to sleep...I would have just let him sleep and sleep. We are thankful for the stroke because then we found out about his bleeding so badly. We have agreed from this point forward that I wake him after 8-10 hours or so and check on him to make sure he's not had a bad stroke. The hospital will be monitoring his bleeding thankfully.
In the midst of all this there has been some behind the scenes drama that we did not need. I think some might say that I was over dramatic about it all...especially since my husband is resting peacefully upstairs in his own bed right now.
That could all change tomorrow. He could heal, he could have a stroke. Only ONE knows the answer to that.