to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, September 28, 2012

Riding the Coaster...

I want to begin this blog post with an apology. A quilting blog it sure has not been. But hopefully, as my roller coaster of life continues I'll be back to my quilty blogland sooner than expected. If things go well, maybe even before January! (but I will not rush it.) That being said, I need to post about my husband again because, when life boils down to reality...husbands are more important than quilts (Oh the shock!)

LOL, you must know by me typing that I am in a upbeat, positive mood. But the last two days have been a complete roller coaster, UP down UP down...I'll continue our story:

When I left you all last, we were taking my husband back to the hospital. It was so sad to see him, he did not even have the strength to walk back to his ER room. The doctor this time was WONDERFUL. Oh I wish he were not an ER doc because I would insist that husband use him from now on! Of course, one could not help but notice Jerry was very weak. They pumped iv fluids into him rather quickly, and started running tests, tests, tests. His liver enzymes were elevated. He was severely dehydrated. He slept the entire time. He doesn't even remember the CT Scan that they took of his stomach. Or the x rays of his chest. They drew blood--multiple times--and he slept through it. Do you know how hard that was for me to watch? To know they were doing all this and he just kept sleeping. Not like in a coma, but they'd wake him up and say, "We are going to draw blood now." and he'd say "Ok" and go back to sleep.

The CT Scan of his stomach showed some abnormalities of his colon. With all his other symptoms it looked like he had C diff, so they started him on the antibiotics to treat that. They also ordered an MRI of his colon to see if they could find anything wrong.

Yesterday Jerry continued to improve. Having what they thought was C diff they put him in isolation. But he looked better, so I came home in a pretty upbeat mood last night. My computer had crashed due to a Windows automatic update (go figure) so this morning, computer was fixed; I was getting ready to write a post about C diff...when the phone rang. It was Jerry. He did not have C diff. WHAT??

Off to the hospital I go. Knowing it was not C diff, late last evening they went ahead with the MRI of his colon. Nothing found on that either. (that would be a good thing of course.) In the meantime, Jerry improved more and more all day today. He looks good. His eyes are normal. He talks normal. His headaches have been gone for 2 days. He was teasing me. I cried when he teased me. Silly me. It was just so nice to see that side of him again!!!

As I type, Jerry is FINALLY getting to eat food again. They are releasing him tomorrow. He will be weak, but he is so much better now.

What was wrong? No one knows. Why was his colon abnormal? Not sure. It could be from all the stomach distress; but he will need a colonoscopy soon just to be sure. His liver enzyemes still elevated? yes, but doc said it possibly could be from all the new meds. They will continue to monitor it.

How am I doing? Well...


How is Seth doing? He's a teenage boy...he goes with the flow. Plus he's not having to do any school work. I am very anxious to tell him about the alternative treatment to C diff. Sometimes antibiotics do not work. They have found a controversial treatment that does. You really should look it up. Especially if you have a teenage boy that would find that sort of thing very gross..yet very cool too.


How is Stephen doing?

I took this photo just a bit ago, in the car while driving home from the hospital (again).
He is so worn out. This morning when I was getting him ready to leave, he begged "Please we stay home mommy. Please."
So I took him in my lap, hugged him and explained that Daddy is still very sick and that I need to go be with him. Stephen started crying and said, "I fixed Daddys tummy. He come home. I fix him. I can fix him. Go bring him home."

Well, Stephen, how about tomorrow morning, we wake up and do exactly that!

23 comments:

Shannon said...

((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) You are right, that sounds like an absolute roller coaster! I really hope he gets to come home and STAY home this time and gets better every single day. You are still in our thoughts and prayers here.

Terri said...

Actually, not that controversial of a treatment. Becoming more "mainstream" for those patients whose c diff infection doesn't respond to antibiotics. :) I find it fascinating, but then again, I'm on a research study looking a preemies' poop.

Belinda said...

Fingers crossed and prayers going up that he will continue to improve and get to stay home. Not sure I want to look up the alternative....

Melissa said...

Good news, Tonya!! Sounds like he was very dehydrated and that can sure knock you for a wallup - especially when you are already week from everything else your poor hubby has been through. As for that alternative treatment... I am totally all for it, and having seen many patients suffer with c diff that just couldn't be cured, I am glad there is a new therapy. I sure hope to avoid it, though!!

Carrie P. said...

so sorry to hear you are going through this with your family. I pray you husband continues to get better.

Dora, the Quilter said...

Will continue to keep you all in our prayers!

Christine M said...

What a roller coaster ride for you. Glad to hear Jerry is improving. Sending you more hugs. Christine xx

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Positive thoughts and prayers headed your way.....

Jeanne Gwin said...

Sometimes, the questions don't have any answers. Sometimes, we don't know what questions to ask. But we always know that God puts forth a healing and loving hand. If you need anything Tonya, let me know, just a bit over an hour away. things are looking up and that is all that is important right now. Again, if you are up at Liberty or North Kansas City Hospital and Jerry needing a colonoscopy, look up Dr Jeff Young, he if fabulous.

beaquilter said...

glad to hear hubby is doing better, still stinks that they don't know what it is though. we need to call Dr House?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, so many hugs and prayers and blessings for a better tomorrow.

Michelle May said...

This ride is coming to an end my friend. You can get off of it and move on with your life. Sending tons and tons of light, love and strength your way.
xx

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Google every symptom he has, and do your own research. I had to do that almost 2 years ago, and finally had 2 blood tests done that gave results to have a colonoscopy and an upper GI done, that is what saved his life. So don't always rely on them to figure it out, google it, and google it. Hang in there, remember all this only makes you stronger, every day!

Sharon said...

You all are still in my prayers, Tonya! I hope he continues to get better.

Michelle said...

Sounds like things are getting a bit better for you it is a relief to have him feeling better I am sure, but it would still be nice to have a reason for it...Hugs

Pokey said...

Honestly, there are so many "bugs" (illnesses) out there, it is always amazing that we stay upright! I hope the upward improvement continues. God can do mighty healing ~
:-}pokey

Sunnybec said...

Fabulous news and long may it last. Sending you (((hugs))) xx

Heather said...

So glad to hear that things seem to be turning around. I hope Jerry's improvement continues.

Dorian said...

Continued prayers going out to you my Dear. I'm glad to hear of some improvement. Just keep on keeping on :)

QuiltSue said...

What great news, you must be feeling so relieved that he seems to be on the road to recovery at last. I hope that continues to be a fast road, for all of your sakes.

Snoodles said...

Still praying for all of you....I agree with the commenter that said "be sure to inform yourself and do research" because the docs sometimes need a little nudge! Sounds like he got a good one that time, tho.
Stephen is growing so fast! What a handsome guy!
Hugs to you!

Carla said...

That is so awesome that Jerry is improving. Whatever it was must have finally worked it's way thru his body. I'm glad the doctors are going to continue monitoring him. I almost cried reading this good news. What a relief. Prayers for continued good news.

Oh and don't worry about being slow with the fabric it's totally understandable. I mean you don't have anything on your plate. JK

HUGS from Texas

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts said...

I just wanted to stop in and let you know I'm thinking of you and your family - I met you today in the post office. I hope things will take a turn for the better!!