Saturday, September 15, 2012

Ketoacidosis among other things...

Oh, my friends, this time my husband just about did himself in. For real. The last few days have been quite scary indeed...

 By Friday morning Jerry realized something was seriously wrong and agreed to go to the Emergency room. He was to the point that he was barely able to walk, and when he got to the ER they didn't even make him wait. He was taken right into a room. By the time I got the boys delivered to their sister (thankfully only about 5 minutes from hospital!) and back to the ER; they had Jerry hooked up to IV's, and were starting tests. The nurse looked at me and said, "All we know is he is not going home anytime soon." I told her that I knew that.

Jerry's diabetes had spiraled so far out of control that he contracted a very dangerous condition called Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Since Jerry's body could not use sugar for fuel, it started eating away all the fat (even the good fat) and also released dangerous toxins into his body. By the time Friday had come around, he was very bad and just another day or two he would have gone into a coma or had a heart attack from low blood pressure (a symptom of Ketoacidosis). You can read more about Ketoacidosis RIGHT HERE.

Friday night Jerry was still not doing very well. He has only been on a clear liquid diet but they could not get his blood sugar down. This morning (Saturday) thankfully it was better. It sits around 160 at 3 hours after eating, which is still too high, but at least it is not at a dangerous level. Tonight (Saturday) he is still in intense pain. He sleeps around the clock...but it more alert this evening in the few moments that he is awake.

They have been running a multitude of tests on Jerry and his thyroid is not working, so he will be on medication for that. His gall bladder is infected and will be removed Monday morning.

As for me? I have been an emotional mess. From fear, to worry, to anger. I think you all know why without me getting into that. Two years ago this exact same weekend Jerry had a stroke...and this time around he was even closer to death's door. Well, at least this time it got Jerry's attention. When he's been awake, he's been emotional himself; scared, regretful and ready to improve.

While he hates putting things like insulin and medications into his body, he realizes that unless he does, his little boy and I will be putting him into a grave.

I continue to have fears and worry(and even anger)..."Will it work this time?".."Will he continue to rebel about doctor check ups and taking his meds?" It will take time for me to not worry about these things. I've never known any different. But, I love my husband. I remember who he used to be before two years ago and all the fun that we had. I want the Jerry who used to play guitar and write music. I want the Jerry that liked hiking with me in the woods. And mostly, I want our son to know this man.

By only the grace of God we have been given another chance.

----------------------------------------

A word about the boys, as I am sure some are wondering: with my daughter living only 5 minutes from the hospital, she kept both boys until this morning. Seth then went with his father. I brought Stephen home with me tonight. Amy will be trying to catch up on missed sleep tonight/tomorrow (as she works nights and I nabbed her up Friday morning when she was sleeping.) She has to work tomorrow night, but will stay awake Monday morning to watch Stephen during surgery. As soon as Jerry is out of recovery, I'll have to take over Stephen so I will probably just come back home.

Stephen has enjoyed being royally spoiled by his Sissy, and he will write a blog post about it in the near future, I am sure...

--------------------------------------

Hey, I never stop working. My fabric rep called me Friday, and I just happened to be on the way to grab a bite to eat when he called so I was able to talk and order in enough fabric to last us a couple of weeks anyway. As you all can see, now you know why I was dead set against getting a job and leaving Stephen home with Jerry. (he's gonna kill me when he reads that...and he will read this post. It might be a few weeks down the road before does, but he'll read it!) This fabric has helped a bit, but I only charge a few cents more than I pay a yard. I really don't want to change that. That is the entire point of what I do. So, that being said, we need a bit of a financial miracle right now, but God is bigger, huh?

-----------------------------------

Thank you all for your kind words, and I am saying this to all of you: in blogland, facebook land, fabric land, and my Christian womens fellowship land. I have missed you. I am so thankful for each and every one of you.

Love, Tonya

31 comments:

Shannon said...

Positive thoughts and many prayers to you and your family. I had never heard of ketoacidosis until one of the group members said it was what your husband had. It sounds terribly frightening. I hope and pray that he sees this for what it is, a gift and second chance to take care of himself for all of you. I will definitely pause a moment for positive thoughts and prayers on Monday as well. Love to you and yours.

Jill Martin said...

Hi Tonya, Ron and I have been praying a lot for you and Jerry. We are thankful that he is in the hospital and being treated. Thank you for your blog letting us all know what is happening. Take strength from the fact that you are very much loved. Love, Jill and Ron

Christine M said...

Thinking of you all Tonya. I hope Jerry picks up soon. You take care of yourself too. Hugs, Christine

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Many blessings to you and your family. Yes, take care of you!

Pat said...

Tonya, I don't know what to say, apart from how scary and praying for you all. xx

Pam at Antique or Not said...

Tonya, my thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. I know all too well how difficult it is to deal with a husband who thinks he's fine when he isn't. Men can be so stubborn, but it's up to us to be even more stubborn and make them take care of themselves the way they should.

Hopefully your husband will begin improving soon. I'll be praying that his surgery goes well Monday morning, and that the doctors will be able to regular his blood sugar level.

Take care of yourself...you're no good to anyone if you let yourself get run down. So glad that you have a daughter old enough to help you.

Big hugs,
Pam

Michelle said...

How scary, hopefully he will realise the severity this time. Hope he recovers quickly, and make sure you look after yourself!!!

Sunnybec said...

Stay strong my friend, he is now in the best place possible. I hope he does realise how serious this was, like you say, he hasn't just himself to think about. I will be thinking of you even if I don't comment (we are on holiday) sending you a big hug and an even bigger hug for Stephen. xxx

QuiltSue said...

How scarey for you all. I hope Jerry takes note of the warning he's just been given and takes care of himself better, not just for himself but for all of you.

I will be thinking of you all tomorrow.

Dorian said...

Prayers said my dear Girl. I'm so sorry this has happened. My continued thoughts and prayers go with you all, as you struggle thru.

Mommarock said...

Oh my Goodness! MEN! I tell ya, mine is just the same, he just doesn't want to take medication, but they make it for a reason.. to help you not need to be in the position he is in now. I hope and pray that he will realize he can have a much more productive future if he will just take what the doctors order for him. His children are counting on him to NOT be stubborn. Prayers are coming your way for a speedy recovery, and a healthy hubby.

Gene Black said...

As a diabetic myself (although type 2 and less likely to get this) I know that you NEVER just wait and see if something will go away. This is so scary and I know you are concerned even though you are trusting God with it. I will be praying for you and Jerry.

krisgray said...

Hoping all goes well with treatment and surgery ad that he will be home before you know it. Take care!

Wanda Correll said...

I am praying. Keep us up dated. Love you girl!

Wanda
wandascraprack@gmail.com

Belinda said...

Oh dear heart, we are all sending lots and lots of prayers up for you and Jerry. What a horrible experience you have had the last few days! Take time for you when you can, you need it desperately or you will be laying beside Jerry in the hospital room.
We love you.
God is working.
Keep the faith.
Lean on Him.

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers... glad Jerry is in the hospital and following dr.'s orders... this is good for him and for all of you. He is moving in the right direction....

grannyanne said...

I am so glad that your husband finally went to the hospital. I think that he has finally realized that it will happen to him and the effects of lost felt by his family, are just as scary! Many blessings for all of you!

Heather said...

That sounds like an unbelievably scary time, I hope Jerry's health turns around for the better.

Maria Kievit said...

Our health is so important, but we all try to self medicate..... Thinking and praying for you during these days!

Teresa F. said...

Oh my, you are going going through a rough time. I hope your DH is feeling better by now. I'll be praying for you.
Hugs,
Teresa

Snoodles said...

Continuing to pray for Jerry and for you, my friend, and will post an urgent request at the study blog. Wish I could be there with you -- but Jesus is there, so hold His hand, and all will be well.
Much love to you, from Snoodles

Patty@Granma's said...

Keeping you all in our prayers. God bless

Julie Fukuda said...

This sounds like a page from my book! I have been dealing with these same issues over half my life. My husband has had two strokes and lots of other trips to the hospital emergency room and he gets serious for about as long as it takes to get back home. When the Dr. told him he was killing himself, he stopped seeing that Dr.It is his hand putting whatever in his own mouth and whatever I say (or don't say) has no influence.
My sympathy and prayers are with you and your whole family.

teacher said...

Prayers for you and your family as go through this really rough time!
Elise

Melissa said...

My thoughts are with you and hubby, Tonya. Very scary. Maybe things will turn for the better with his health and his willing to address it now. I hope so. I have no room to talk as I am one to avoid medical intervention at all cost too. I've been lucky and should be ashamed as I am a nurse and know better. FYI for future reference in case they don't tell you. One sign of ketoacidosis is breath that smells like Juicy Fruit gum. By the time that happens, it is well advanced, but at least it is a sign for you in case your hubs decides he is invincible again, as the big boys do, don't they? Hug your daughter for me. She is such a good girl to be so helpful to you.

Pokey said...

I'm holding you all in prayer, Tonya! Oh, my, our guys can case such worry. I hope he considers the positive choices for you all!
:-}pokey

elliek said...

Prayers for you, Jerry and the family You will be held close to my heart as you go through this difficult time. Hang in there, you are all loved.

Linda said...

Prayers for Jerry and for you. Praying also for the doctors and medical staff as they work for Jerry's physical needs. Also praying that the Lord will work in Jerry's life that he be aware of the seriousness of the situation.

charlotte said...

Just now catching up with you Tonya. Prayers for your family and yes, the Lord does have a plan. You know that. Stay strong, we are all pulling for you guys.

Diann said...

I'm so sorry that you have been going through such a frightening and difficult time. My prayers are with you.

Carla said...

Just now reading about the hubby! I hope I find in later post that he is improving but I'm sending prayers your way.
warm hugs too.