to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Hillbilly wants to go hooker

Seth's school is scheduled! That's a very big deal to me. I finished about 2 a.m. last night. Stephen's I'll probably just work on monthly. You should see my living room though. Jerry's ex wife homeschooled, but nothing like I do. The kids had a 'video teacher'. So he was a bit surprised when I wanted to hang an alphabet train across the living room wall. Ha, that's just the beginning husband! Wait til the bugs go up the night before Stephen's 'first day of school'. Besides, how does one teach the alphabet without an alphabet hanging across the room anyway??!!  (We've only had 4 visitors in the 2.5 years that we've lived here. I don't think that is a problem either.)

------------------------------------------------------

I need to know: You all did a great job answering starch questions. I am going to edit the post because one person gave us some links to recipes, then I will put add the post to the "need to know" page for future reference. I look forward to tomorrow's "I need to know"

-------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone do rug hooking? I drug my husband into a shop last Saturday but we ended up staying for quite some time. I really think it is something that I would enjoy someday in the future. Anyone know of good rug hooking blogs? Look at this fun rug I found at CindiGayRugHooking.com. See they can be modern too! The lady at the shop suggested that I could make match sets. Quilts with rugs to match. Oh mercy that excited me! Of course it is much more expensive than quilting...so I need to find that money tree...


Oh my goodness...I just had to edit...I could call myself the Hillbilly Hooker. LOL!!!!



-------------------------------------------------------

I closed my etsy shop. I just don't think I am up to working that hard to make a few bucks. I looked at other shops before I did close it...paying careful attention to how long they'd been open and how many sales they had since that time. No thanks. Too much work involved for hardly a penny profited. Not that I will make a buck anyway. LOL, as I have said before I've tried to get this 'business' of mine going for twenty years...and these kids just keep getting in the way! I am not NOT one of these moms that will put the business before my children, and their schooling, and their nurturing. I'd rather wear used clothes, eat beans, and not go on vacations. Kids/family first--even before money.

Rather I am considering opening a Made By Hillbilly blog. I might even put some of my fabric destash on there. And fabric magazine destash. Anyone interested in that?


-------------------------------------------------------

You all know by now that I am a big fan of Jan Krentz. And also a big fan of Ricky Tims. So....this past week Jan was featured on The Quilt Show. I am not a member...but I think I'll get to watch it next week because I follow her blog/newsletter. Do any of you subscribe to the Quilt Show? I would..but I figure blogs are free, you know?

HERE IS A LINK to the trailer for Jan's episode if you are interested.

--------------------------------------------------------


14 comments:

Rachel said...

School-Good for you!!
Need to know-very cool thing!
RUG Hooking-(LOL) Bought a book/fabric/needle set at a quilt show a while back. Haven't tried it, maybe I should dust it off. LOL
Etsy-I don't have an etsy account,so I would be more likely to make a purchase from somewhere not etsy. It seemed a hassle to make an account to simply be able to ask a seller a question, when I really don't care for the navigation of the site. Obviously just my opinion (and that of a few people I am friends with).
Quilt Show-Nope, sorry.

Belinda said...

You like blogging and you like facebook, so why don't you try the Made By Hillbilly on both sites? What have you got to lose??

Never rug hooked, but it looks interesting...

Mommarock said...

You go girl on that homeschooling! I did it quite a bit and I also ran a daycare (at the same time) heaven help me. It was a challenge, but I had to do it, and my children turned out just fine. They did go back to school to finish up, as a matter of fact my son is going back just this year for 9th grade to complete in high school.

Dora, the Quilter said...

rug hooking: robinhillquilts.blogspot.com
quilts *and* rughooking

Suggest subscribing to the Quilt Show blog. They often make shows free the first week they are available (as does Fons & Porter, I think). Wish I could find time to watch them!

TN kids had to start public school yesterday! We start in two weeks!
Too soon!

hope said...

Oh Tonya. I'm reading this at work and after just dealing with a criminal case involving a stripper . . .

I love Kaaren blog The Painted Quilt. She does some rug hooking along with beautiful quilts. I'm working on her raggedy quilt at the moment.

Have a great day.

Hope

Denise said...

There is no reason your rug hooking has to be expensive. They used to use old clothes to make rugs back in the day - no reason you couldn't do the same thing. I've only done latch hooking but I've seen rug hooking done with yarn, cotton cloth and wool. And you can do any design you want with it too. Hope you don't get burnt out on the schooling, that is hard work.

Melzie said...

That is a cute rug! WTG on getting the schooling stuff squared away :) xoxo mel

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I've always wanted to try rug hooking. It just seems like a relaxing craft. Plus, you can draw any design you like and then turn it into a rug.

Heather said...

I did rug hooking once. It was fun, but I was doing a kit with painted canvas and pre-cut yarn, I'm not sure if all rug hooking is like that or not. I decided I need to stop dabbling in so many crafts because I ends up with too much stuff I don't use, like the multiple bags of yarn in the corner from my knitting phase lol.

I subscribed to the quilt show for the first time this year. The main reason I justified paying for it was this year's BOM, which I really want to do. BOM's are usually outrageously expensive, so the $40 for the one-year subscription paid for the BOM alone. But I'm not sure if I'll renew next year, I just don't watch the shows that often and if they're on a topic I'm not interested in then I get bored watching but I feel like I should because I paid, if that makes sense. Anyways, that's my thought. I'm very impressed by your schooling, I don't think I would have the energy or planning to do so much!

elliek said...

You amaze me with all the things you do. The home schooling would send me round the bend. The Quilt show must be an American thing cos I have never heard of it and I've done one hooked rug and it took me ages so wouldn't do another but that's just me. Have a great weekend.. I'm going to finish that AHHH!!!!

Snoodles said...

I've done a small latch hook project, but have never tried rug hooking....sounds like fun, especially if you can figure out how to cut up stuff and repurpose it that way. I think your train and your bugs sound like lots of fun! I can remember having maps and pictures all over the walls! LOL

Carrie P. said...

Have a great year homeschooling. Gotta have the alphabet up somewhere!
I don't know of any rug hooking blogs but have done a little myself.
I recommend checking out your local library for books and also go to thrift shops like good will and look for old wool jackets and skirts to use for your rugs. I have bought some great colors of wool that way. If I come across any rug hooking blogs I will be sure to share them with you.

KatieQ said...

I think having a blog to sell you handicrafts would be a good idea. At least that way you wouldn't have to deal with the ETSY fees.
I grew up in NY city. When I hear the word hooker, the last thing I think of is someone making rugs. I have never tried to make one, but I love the way they look.

Carla said...

Here I thought you were taking up a new profession. Just not sure you'd make that much money in Cameron. LOL
I used do rug hooking but moved on to other projects.
I admire anyone who homeschools their kids. I couldn't do it for a number of reasons but my sister did with the first 2. The second 2 got a little but she went back to work so the last 2 kidos went to public school.