to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, July 20, 2012

I'm roasting away...

While I really wish I could have been home for our Quilters Campfire Day, I could not be due to a gift I am giving to my teenage son. You see, I went to the same small high school as a lady who does all the Kansas City Christian concert promotions. And when these concerts come to town, she needs volunteers to sign up to 'man' the booths that sell the shirts and cd's and all that stuff.

Well, Saturday is the big HeartFest in Kansas City. It is really big because it is held at the local themepark, Worlds of Fun. So not only are there rides, but also several well known Christian bands. I signed myself and my daughter up to work because there was no way for us to afford to get Seth into the show. Doing it this way he gets in free. The catch? I have to be at the themepark at 9 a.m. and I cannot leave until my shift is over...that would be 10:30 pm.

Do you know it is fore casted to be 103 degrees tomorrow? On hot pavement. Oh, ya. I'll be roasting. Just not marshmallows.

Anyway, I wasn't going to let our campfire day go by without me joining along...we just had to do it a couple of days early. But I saved the post so that I could link it up to Sharon's Blog. She'll be hosting the entire campfire day of fun and I sure hope you join in for me.

We did have a campfire of our own. In Mo they are banned so we did an indoor one again this year. NEXT YEAR WE ARE HAVING AN OUTDOOR CAMPFIRE FOR THIS DAY. There, I shouted. Think it will help?

Stephen and my teen sewing student Cierra are blowing on the flames to get them going, LOL:


We turned the lights back on to eat.
As you can see our fire wasn't much, but in the dark it doesn't matter what color tissue you use. It shows up glowing with the strobe light.

If you hop over to Stephens Blog, you will find out about the cooking of the S'mores and other fun S'more activities.


Then I taught Cierra how to do EPP. 


Look at those hexies in her sewing box!
She is really a fun student. The other student has fallen by the way side, but this one just loves quilting.

We sat by our campfire that day and worked on her hexies. I think she has a great start, don't you?


I hope you all are roasting in a much different kind of way than I am today!



13 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, she looks like a sweetie and look at that cute little kit! Yes, she has taken to it. Be careful in the heat and we'll eat all kinds of goodies for you today.

Jennifer Gail said...

She looks like she's really concentrating. I have a problem with that.

QuiltSue said...

I love your fire.

Your student looks as though she was really concentrating, but the results look great.

Patty@Granma's said...

We have fire bans here too! And the temp running over 100 every day. Have you ever tried roasting marshmallows over a candle flame? Just don't use scented candles - they can effect the flavor something awful! Have a great day at the concert!

Angie said...

What a good Mama you are!!

You'll have to tell me who in the world from HS does the concert promotions-I want in on that action ;)

Hope you had fun-Cam LOVES Skillet.
However it gives me a headache ;)

sweetybird09 said...

How nice to do that volunteering today even if you are going to roast, the things we do for kids huh???

Oh and that student, how great that she has such a great teacher as you, I am sure its fun to have a girl around since you have sons :)))))

sweetybird09 said...

How nice to do that volunteering today even if you are going to roast, the things we do for kids huh???

Oh and that student, how great that she has such a great teacher as you, I am sure its fun to have a girl around since you have sons :)))))

Sallie said...

Enjoyed camping with you today.

Snoodles said...

Way to go, mom! I know Seth must have had a great time...and your campfire and the hexies all look wonderful. I'm off to see what's happening at Stephen's blog! :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for making the day a success.

Sheila said...

Cool looking campfire. Kids are having a good time :D
I enjoyed Stephen's blog. He is so cute.
Your quilting student has making hexies down pat.
103 degrees. Oh my. Be good when this extreme weather moves on.

Barb said...

What fun...and yes, you have a wonderful student!

Michele said...

You are a nice mom! How thoughtful :-) Your campfire looks like fun!