to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Convergence Project 2

Before I show you this awesomely prettiness, let me tell you that we are gearing up for Quilters Campfire around here! My little sewing student and I are getting things ready tomorrow. She is supposed to be bringing the sticks for the fire, and she had a great idea. You see, we were going to have a real campfire this year, but all campfires are banned in Missouri right now. Even in fire rings! So...that is out. But my student said her family uses canned heat to roast marshmallows. Ha, what an idea!

We are planning to work on teaching her how to do hexagons for our campfire day. No, not ahhhh's. Just some flowers I think. And a fake campfire. And canned heat. And S'mores. And some fun for Stephen. Oh I forgot to tell you--he is joining us and will be linking up from his blog! He's got special activities.

Saturday people, come on it will be fun!!

Ok now are you ready for this? I've had my hand dyed fabric hidden away for so long. I am in love with it and all my fabric dyeing supplies are gone. Gone, gone, gone. (too many moves). Oh after today's post you will see why I want it all back! I suppose it is best to just wait until I move again. Well have a look at some of my pretties that were tucked away:

For the second project we were to choose two separate squares of fabric that contrasted.
(I feel like a proud Mama showing you these hand dyed beauties of mine!)
Then we were to stack them on top of each other and cut out a simple curvy design.



Do a bit of swapping around:

Do some cutting:


And some converging:


Now, this one I wanted to add a really neat border on. I am still working on it though. And it may take until next week because...

 I'm in the middle of huge school scheduling right now as Thursday is a big educators discount day with 20% off all supplies and curriculum. I sold a bunch of fabric on my swap to be able to stock Stephen's preschool area. Speaking of my short and cute little guy, he really loved this quilt project and he keeps going over to the design wall and looking at it and the borders. So today Stephen and I  took some of the scraps and sewed them back together. He really was very proud when he added them to the design wall. 
Here they are:

Love that boy!
And I love my hand dyed fabrics. 
So glad I saved them for just the right project, even if it took years to find the right one.




14 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I like this one! I will have to wait for next week to play - got some prep work for Saturday - so from now til then, just Campfire!

Christine M said...

I love what you've done with those pink fabrics Tonya. It looks great!

QuiltSue said...

What gorgeous colours, especially the darker one. They work so well in a convergence don't they?

I don't think I'll be able to camp with you on Saturday, but I will pop in from time to time to see what you're up to.

Oh, and tell Stephen his sewing looks wonderful.

Linda said...

Looks beautiful. That over dyed fabric is perfect for this convergence beauty! I'll share mine today or tomorrow. I wish I was free for the campfire day because I am really bummed to miss it this year!

FabricFascination said...

Really pretty!

Belinda said...

OOOOHHHHH Tonya! That fabric is TO DIE FOR!!! Girl, you make me wanna do it soo bad. That looks like a lot of fun to try and I may have to!

Stephen is very good at sewing. He needs to be teaching Winston...

I'll have to pass on the campfire, but will check with you and Stephen to see what fun you all had!!

grannyanne said...

I love the colors that you came up with. I am not really a pink person but I really like the blend you ended up with. Maybe in a few years? I may try dying but for now, I am still enjoying the sewing part!

Angie said...

Beautiful -as always!

Connie said...

What beautiful fabrics, I can see why you want to get back into dyeing! Love the convergence pattern too!

Colleen said...

Im traveling north to Canada all day Saturday so I cant have a campfire. However I do have a vacation quilt to bind, a hexie project bag, an embroidery project bag, and a cross stitch project bag so I can campfire in spirit. Ooo I can turn on my little round led light and pretend.

elliek said...

Love your curvy quilt looks great. Will have to go and get some marshmallows and something to work on for Sat.

Jill Martin said...

Have the ingrediants for my campfire and may get to do it with my grandchildren. Sure hope so. Now for your your most incredible pink fabric. I love pink. Perhaps because as a redheaded little girl I was not allowed to wear pink...I do remember I was 10 when I got to paint my bedroom any color I wanted...you guessed it. PINK. So these pinks make me smile. My projects are being photoed. Are you going to applique this? So glad Stephan is a fiber artist.

Snoodles said...

Gorgeous pinks....you do amazing dye work! Stephen is just the best helper around!

Carrie P. said...

OOO! this one is really pretty. Fabulous fabrics!