Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ahhhh 31--Citrine

Oh man these keep getting harder and harder. Don't lose heart though! We actually skipped over all the 'geometric' ones because the only person that I know of that still follows along likes stars. I've just run out of easy stars. (We'll come back to geometric later.)

If you are new to my blog, Ahhhh hexies come out every other Thursday. You can find the first 30 up under the EPP button; and we have around 80 or so that we MIGHT do. Might being dependent upon how hard some of these are!

Today's Ahhhh is a Jinny Beyer design. This woman makes some tough designs. I need to google and see if she has made them into quilts!! In fact a good portion of these tough ones are all hers. I have yet to decide if I am breaking copyright by sharing these. I found them in one of her block books. Anyone have any idea about that? If we are then there will be a dozen or more that we won't be doing--but as I said they are very hard ones to say the least!

An angel friend of mine sent me some Jinny Beyer fabrics. I've been wanting some just for Ahhhhs so I am thrilled. I used some for today's Ahhhh in fact:

Oh Mercy NO! I didn't get it finished. It will hopefully look very cool when it is done though.

Here goes and good luck!





A note about my drawings for you new comers. 
I draw all of mine in markers for your benefit,
but markers are NOT accurate enough. 
You need to draw your block using a very fine point pencil.


The next step has to be drawn with precision accuracy.
Even though I drew mine in pencil before using marker,
they didn't work out so well for me and have to be re-cut
(because it is hard to see through marker lines sometimes.)
This next step is why my Ahhhh still sits un-finished.



There are a whole lot of extra lines that will need ignored on today's ahhhh.
It is best if I color this one in for you as well:



For this next step below (in green) I cut mine apart so that I could fussy cut some mirror image type fabric,
but you could leave it as one piece I am sure.



Very cool, not too hard except those little orange points.


10 comments:

Barb said...

Oh my gosh...that looks so complicated.

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Looks very complicated Tonya. I will watch your progress with interest.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just to draw these is a super acheivement! Very pretty start.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

And how big.......or small is this block???

beaquilter said...

You are nuts! these are so complicated and yet so cute, but I'm guessing the red points are less than 1/2" ??

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

I love it! Really cool Block! I love how you share the steps so we can see the whole thing! Cool!

Mommarock said...

I'm here! I just found you. Oh my goodness. Well, I certainly think drawing it looks complicated LOL, but stitching it, well, we shall see about that in about 30 hexies and purchasing the correct fabric, and finishing the quilt I am currently hand quilting..etc. but I DO want to put all of these into a quilt.

elliek said...

Okay it has a star so that is a good thing.People keep asking how many am I going to do and the number gets bigger and bigger. I thought 50 was the original but 80 more sounds good to me. I love the look of this one... will see how I go! You know I am as hooked as you.

sandra said...

This looks a hard one tonya, dont know if i will tackle it or not. Just to let you know though, that there are 4 ladies in my sewing group that are Ahhhhh, hexying. They just don't do internet etc. i will try and get some photos of theirs sometime and put them on our flickr group (as well as catch up on my own). And sorry I cant help,you with the starch problem.

Belinda said...

I agree with beaquilter! You are nuts girl. But your work is so beautiful! I don't think I will ever have the patience to attempt these things, but I sure enjoy seeing what you are doing!!