to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Ahhhh 21--Star Studded Beauty

The Artistic, Hexotic, Hop-A-Long, Hex-a-long, Hillbilly, Hectic Hexies

Welcome new Kinfolk! Everyone wave a big hello to Kim who just stumbled upon our little ol' Hillbilly homeblog yesterday and fell in love with the Ahhhh's. I mean, what's not to love about the Ahhhh's, right? Well Kim loved them so much that she had the first 20 all drawn up within a few hours. Wow! I am not sure if she has a blog, but we will see if she will share on flikr.

Today we start on what I call the 'odd' blocks. We've done blocks that start with a star, or an asterisk, etc. For the next few weeks we will be doing blocks that just do their own thing. (If you haven't figured it out yet--I am all about the 'doing my own thing' thing.)

After that we will do some Y blocks. They will all begin with a "Y" in the middle in other words. Here's the catch--many of them are geometrical type blocks. I think I am going to get some plain marble fabric for these. I don't think the will 'match' all these pretty star blocks that we've been doing so they will get their own quilt.

Next in line will be some more asterisk blocks. The reason I've saved them is that they are very detailed and have some tiny pieces. I am not sure if they are going to work for us. I need to do some testing. In any case, they won't be easy!

Finally will be blocks with curved elements. So there's the plan for the next however long. Could take a long time to get there--or if the hard asterisk ones don't work it--it may not take so long.

Let's get to today, shall we? Our first 'odd' block,The Star Studded Beauty,  was designed by Laura Wheeler around 1958. It is a pretty block but I am disappointed in mine. I bought some new fabric back in February just for my Ahhhh's. It's Moda (although I can't remember the name of the line of fabric at the moment) and there are some great fussy cut possibilities. But after making one I am not so sure it Ahhhh'd me. What do you think? I am ready for bright, bright, bright. I might put this away for awhile and go stash diving before next week.







6 comments:

Barb said...

What a wonderful block !

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Another beauty!!

The Hillbilly Wife said...

fja;lsfjd;lsfj

Kim said...

Thank you for the welcome Tonya. Another lovely block! I have a lot of catching up to do. I don't have a blog but wll add to the Flikr site. I have the first pieces ready to sew together......

KatieQ said...

I really like this block. Kim sounds like she has an amazing amount of energy. I want to be her when I grow up.

elliek said...

Love this one as well.Welcome Kim to the place of madness! These hexies are addictive and I reckon they are stress busters. Well they are for me. No 20 is ready to go but in 5 colours and not sure how it will go but will let you know when I have it done and posted about.