Saturday, March 31, 2012

No star today!

For you star seekers...I apologize for not showing you the star today. I have not even turned on my sewing machine in three weeks. What have I been doing? MOVING! Well...sort of...let me explain.
(This will be a little quiltsy but not totally--but I know of no better way than my blog to explain to all my  friends what we are up to; so read on if you want--otherwise I will be back with quiltsy things but it won't be for at least a week.)

 We are not going to attempt our dream of owning our own home again anytime soon. We have moved so much. Jerry (my husband) has decided to turn down any promotion outside of our town--for now. It is time for us to settle; and eventually he will be able to promote right here. So as of TODAY, I am making this duplex a home. And because of that I am making several changes:

* I am losing my Creation Station. Everyone--huge sad sigh! This was completely necessary for the teenager. It was not working having him in the basement. Talk about withdrawing--I know they do that at this age, but his was worse because he was able to just completely shut himself off from the family. The result was too much love of electronic things and no more love of previous interests (herbs, cooking, reading.) We've noticed really big attitude differences too--so as of now I am 'taking my son back'. We've spent the day taking down my Creation Station and creating Seth a bedroom again.

* I will move to the basement but it will be better than before. My ex-husband is going to come help us with wiring some outlets and lighting. In the entire ( large) basement, there is only one outlet and 3 light bulbs. It is horrible working conditions.(that is why I just can't bring myself to call it a Creation Station--at least for now.) So my sewing is on a standstill until he is able to come and work on that for us. The basement project will be a 'school' project for Seth actually.

* Our living/dining/kitchen area is so dark and drab and ugly. I haven't cared up until now because today is our 2 year Anniversary of living here. That used to mean time to move--so I never saw the point of fixing it up. I cannot paint since it is a duplex but I am making the following changes:

        -- new Table and chairs. Ours were ugly. My ex-husband had a beautiful new dining set that I bought before life changes. It was never used...and I found out he was just using it in his garage to work on his guns and load powder. Today I traded him the ugly set for the pretty set. I'll show you photos later. Promise!

         -- New brighter living room. Out with the ugly, broken in several places mini blinds and in new curtains. What a difference that made! A shuffle here and there, a removal of the tv (now kicked out into the basement) and we have a nice sitting room to enjoy music and reading. Photos soon.

         ---Kitchen: I cannot wait to start showing things that I am going to do to brighten that. I have something I need ideas for too, so I'll post more later.

So, that is where I am right now and what I am doing. It is tiring. I feel like we are moving, which I guess really we've moved at least half of what we own. I really am going to miss the Creation Station with the fabric rainbow walls and the sunlight streaming in, but I hope the trade off will be that my 14 year old finds us again. Give me just a bit of time...and this house will become a home. That will be worth all the hard work(and lost sewing/blog time), don't you think?

I may not be back next Saturday either. And no ahhhh this week. I am so sorry!

21 comments:

Fiona said...

no need for apologies..... all the best with moving around ...
Hugz

Michelle said...

Family comes first, I am sure I can say that on behalf of all your followers, we will be waiting when you get back... In the meantime enjoy the process of making your house a home, I am looking forward to the photo's.
Hugs

Dora, the Quilter said...

A house that is a home makes all the difference in the world--as does a teenager who learns all the things that can only be learned by having a healthy relationship with family.
Before houses were so huge, most women sewed a little at a time, often at the dining table or in a corner of the kitchen. It will work out. I applaud you for knowing what is important and what must wait.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Dora has said it all, wishing all well.

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Ahhhh... Family first --- Minutes with your family!
And I agree with Dora and Sharon!
I have lived in several homes ... I always found a little corner to set up my machine. You could store stuff in the basement and sew on the corner of a table. Breaks are good too ... they energize you! So we will see you when you are done making your home a home! Ahhhh....

iluvmybugs said...

I agree with all that has been said and wish you only the best!!!!
~Terry~ :o)

Sunnybec said...

Totally agree with everyone else, we will all still be here when you get back. Hugs xxx

Pat said...

Good for you for taking action. I am sure you'll soon have the duplex licked into shape and your son back too! xx

Belinda said...

I hope and pray you get everything "situated" like you want, and the result is calming, happy, and best for Seth. This is a tough age for young men. They aren't children any longer, and they aren't men either. I'm glad you are going to try to make where you are brighter and more liveable. We miss you when you are quiet, but you go right on and do what you need to, and we will be here when you get back. Good luck my friend!!

Joanie's Quilts said...

Hope your place becomes home again soon and that you will once again have a wonderful Creative Station.

Sherry said...

Wishing you all well as you work hard to set things up at home the way they need to be. It sounds like a lot of work but that it will be well worth it.

Pokey said...

The aahhhs of life only come when we have peace, and that is what you are working toward right now. It is worth your time, good for you to reclaim your son! We have such a small time to be an influence in our children's lives, it will be worth the choices you are making today ~
hugs, pokey

Carrie P. said...

Sounds like a plan and yes, it will all be worth it. Have fun with it too.

Sheila said...

Family should always come first over blogging and even sewing . Your son deserves your attention ,,at that age they want your attention even if it doesn't seem that way . You will be glad you are doing what you are doing in the long run , I commend you for making this move :-)

Patty@Granma's said...

I'd come help if I could! Love rearranging - redecorating - reorganizing. Moving out, moving in, moving around - doesn't make much difference - it's all hard work!

Allie said...

Precious girl, how I wish I could come help you - I love to do this - I am cheering you on from here and will pray for you, that it will all work out well and that your new space will soon be Creation Station for real!

Linda said...

You know we will all be here when you get back! Family is always first and foremost! As you know these kids grow up and leave us, as it should be. Take the precious time you have left with Seth, I know I would do the same! Oh and have fun with the decorating. It's those little touches that makes a house a home :) I just did some painting in my house and took down all the family pictures. Well everyone keeps nagging me to put them back up because the house looks weird without them. hahaha They make me laugh!

Snoodles said...

Just echoing all the other comments, m'dear...hold that son close and make that home a nest. A peaceful place for family to grow close and love each other. We can't heft boxes or shove furniture with you, but we can pray that all goes well for you all. :)

sweetybird09 said...

Everyone has said what I was thinking already, I am glad that you are moving your son up with the rest of the family.

Also its great that you and your ex get along so well that is good for your son to see that.

Take it one step at a time in all that you are doing and make sure to take before and after pics!

Michelle May said...

Looking foward to seeing your changes and so happy for you!

Carla said...

You gotta do what's best for the fam. We'll all be waiting with baited breathe to see all the before and after pictures and tales. Best Wishes on the change.