Sunday, March 4, 2012

Frog Stitchin and Hillbilly Vittles

I was just a sittin in my perty little Creation Station and cominson to stitch up some of them thar diamonds when I thunked, "Hillbilly, you gotta go share some good vittles on your blog." It has been right nar forever since I did any sharin of vittles with you uns.

I got the hankerin to fry up some frog legs first of all, cuz you know what? I had to do some good ol' frog stitchin on that first diamond. You all do be knowin what frog stitchin are don't ya? You know..."Rip it, Rip it, Rip it". Yep. I be better at frog stitchin than I be at any other kind of stitchin. I mean my name should be "Hillbilly Tonya--Frog Stitcher Extraordinaire" (I liked that name so much that I done made me a little button. You can steal it ifn ya want to.)

But then whilst I were a frog stitchin away, I thunked about each of you all, and I realized you uns be pure ol high class peoples. Some simple vittles o' frog legs just are not proper for the likes of you. So I picked you out a recipe saved for rare, special occasions. Somethin' that we here in the hills are Nuts about, I hope that you all be enjoyin a batch of these on your next big dinner occasion.

Mountain Oysters
Image source



Recipe courtesy of Food.com


Directions:


  1. 1
    Split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each "oyster" (use a sharp knife). You can also remove the skin easily if the meat is frozen and then peeled while thawing.
  2. 2
    Soak in a pan of salt water one hour; drain.
  3. 3
    Transfer to a large pot and add enough water to float the meat.
  4. 4
    Add the vinegar to the pot.
  5. 5
    Parboil, drain and rinse.
  6. 6
    Let cool and slice each oyster into 1/4 inch thick ovals.
  7. 7
    Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of sliced oyster to taste.
  8. 8
    Combine flour, cornmeal and some garlic powder to taste.
  9. 9
    Roll each slice into flour mixture.
  10. 10
    Dip into milk.
  11. 11
    Roll again into flour mixture.
  12. 12
    Dip into wine.
  13. 13
    (repeat the procedure for a thicker crust).
  14. 14
    Fry in hot oil or fat seasoned with the bottled hot sauce to taste (be careful, it will sizzle when you add the hot sauce); fry until golden brown.
  15. 15
    Drain on paper towels.
  16. 16
    Serve with cocktail sauce if desired.

Read more: http://deep-fried.food.com/recipe/rocky-mountain-oysters-28386#ixzz1oCG44

14 comments:

Jill Martin said...

Thanks for the recipe! I did grow up on a farm where we ate nearly all parts of our herd we somehow passed these by. I am an expert on cow heart,tongue,liver, pickled pigs feet and lamb's tongues. That being said I am now much less adventuresome in the kitchen and prefer the adventures to be in the sewing room.

Gene Black said...

I guess I am just finicky, but I think I would come close to starving before I would eat that!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, these go back to the old farm days. But I didn't like them then and I will pass on them today. There are some things best left out of the frying pan!

Fiona said...

sadly I have never seen these ingredients in the supermarket.... back to my frog - stitching...
Hugz

Hazel said...

I think I'll pass thank you LOL

sandra said...

Oh dear!! I wonder if my butcher stocks them? Maybe I could ask..........or Maybe NOT.

Jan-Maree said...

Oh man yo had me laughing! A 16 year old friend of mine just came back from 5 months living in texas on exchange and while there she was tricked into eating some Mountain Oysters. Listening to her recount the experience was just hysterical. Mind you she was staying with a host family that had three teenage boys so you can imagine how much fun they had at her expense! I am going to link to this recipe on my blog - love it!

elliek said...

I'm with the majority, think I'll pass. I am also a frog stitcher extraordinaire ( defy most people not to be!)

QuiltSue said...

Not sure about the recipe, but I loved the picture of the bull.

Belinda said...

Hmmmm, uh...no thankee ma'am. Be we thankee kindly fer thinkin' a us.

Snoodles said...

Whoo weee! Thass some kinda rare cookin' there, sweetie pie! Can't think uh when I dun had the pleasure of tastin' those, fer sure. LOL
Love the graphic of the bull! Heehee!

quilt happy said...

you gave me a good laugh

Patty@Granma's said...

Oh, Tonya! These are a favorite treat for many people here in Colorado.
I've not only cooked'em, I've worked'em, and the cooking is greatly prefered.
I do however draw the line at eating them. They're MAN food where I'm from!

Michelle May said...

Uhhhhhh....I'm gonna totally puke on this one sweets. I'm a vegetarian. Even if I wasn't a veggie, I'd still puke. hee,hee,hee. More for others to enjoy. ;)