to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Finished star

I have been really dreading showing you my finished star. It just did not work out. It started out well:


I took the photos on the background fabric.
I've decided that I don't like the fabric at all and have since switched to another color.
(You'll have to wait until next week to see that!)

My problem came in when I noticed that it needed a bit of squaring up.
But I shouldn't have squared it up.
Lesson learned: pin and ease. Don't square up.

It looks ok...except the middle. 
Frog stitching won't help this one.
Good thing I planned applique around the background, because I'll have to add some to the middle too.

Sigh. I know that I need practice and patience and all that stuff.
But what I need most is time for that!
I thought about making another, but I am going to move on in the book.
Just "slowerer and carefulerer".

I do look forward to piecing the background this week. 
I think you'll really like the color I chose.

19 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

But you are sticking with it, I haven't seen any other stars since the beginning. You are not alone in the 'what?' as we did a strip star method class and every student had a problem (even the teachers).

Belinda said...

It looks pretty good to me. You just keep going girl.

beaquilter said...

that looks good! wonder if you picked a black or dark brown for the background....??

Lynda said...

I think it looks great. Love the colors.

Rhonda at Cobblestone Quilting said...

Join the crowd of star-messer-uppers. I took a class at my local quilt shop when I first started quilting (first mistake). Keep it simple when starting out, and this isn't simple. The problem lies in the fact that these little pieces are cut on the bias and that means they s-t-r-e-t-c-h. If they don't stretch when you sew them, they will stretch when you iron them if you are not extremely careful. I have quilted for years now and at some point will try the star again

rubyslipperz said...

I think it looks great! We always judge harder on our own projects.

It's a "Miss Tahkee". A project that you didn't do exactly like the original plan...but, it still becomes it's own wonderful project =)

hugZ,
annie

Sunnybec said...

It looks fine to me. You should be proud of yourself! I would run a mile from a pattern like that. Hugs

Patty@Granma's said...

I must need new glasses - I can't see any mistakes from here! But I do agree - slowerer and carefuler will usually save my day...

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

I agree that we are hardest on ourselves....It is a difficult pattern and you did well... such a pretty choice of fabric too.

Teresa Felgueiras said...

It looks just fine to me. The most important is the fun you had doing it. Love the fabrics.

Christine M said...

Your star looks great Tonya. I love the colours you've used.

Connie said...

It looks good Tonya, those type of stars can be tricky, when your quilt is done it will be beautiful!

Sharon said...

It looks fine to me too! That would really pop with a black or navy background. Can't wait to see what you choose!

Michelle said...

You are much braver than I am... I have yet to attempt a star like this!

QuiltSue said...

It looks good to me. I haven't found the courage yet to sew my diamonds together. I'm not looking forward to that and will bear your comment about easing the pieces in mind, thanks.

Dorian said...

It doesn't look too bad Tonya. Especially if this is your first time making one :)

Linda said...

Good for you Tonya! I think it looks fine. I think It is very hard to do. My sample one didn't come out great. I have a gaps at some points. Ugh. I am going to try again with larger pieces as the book says for the Gradient Star. I just have to muster up the courage to do it again. lol

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Looks good to me! You are too hard on yourself! Just keep going!

Carrie P. said...

I think it looks good to me. I don't think I would ever attempt to make that star block.