to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cut Diamonds

Before I begin I need to do a shout out. One of you emailed me a different way to do Y-seams, and now I can't remember which of you it was. Katie, Carrie or Hope I think. Whichever one, please comment below as Linda would really like to hear your method. Thank you!

For those of you working through Barbara Cline's book with me, please don't feel like you have to go at the same speed as I. If you ever need help, just email me.

My mother-in-law gave us a nice Amazon gift card. I was able to get some design mirrors. Here is some of the fabric that I'm using. You can see how the mirrors help me with the fussy cutting.



I did enjoy playing around with the mirrors, but I actually like the element of surprise when I just choose an area without the mirrors, sew it up and see what happens. 
The mirrors will come in really handy when I get to an actual Lone Star quilt.

Here are all the pieces for my Gradient Star quilt. (well, except for the background pieces, I'd like to finish the star before I decide on that for sure. The photos are shown on the fabric that I think I'm going to use for the background.)


4 left facing Asian women


4 right facing Asian women


4 left facing dragons


4 right facing dragons


8 light colored


8 different light colored

I cannot wait to get sewing on these. Hopefully next week I'll have the middle all sewn up to show you!!
(I am also scared to death. Accuracy accuracy accuracy.)

12 comments:

Sunnybec said...

Oh I am really looking forward to seeing this, love the fabric.

QuiltSue said...

I love the fabrics. I am so looking forward to seeing this made up.

Linda said...

These look really cool. Can't wait to see how they all come together. I wasn't planning to fussy cut but these are tempting me to try it out :)

Carrie P. said...

those mirrors are pretty neat. Can't wait to see the block.

Vicki said...

WOW, this certainly is a labour of love. The fussy cutting will certainly make one stunning quilt, can't wait to see it.

Sharon said...

That is going to look great! The red really makes those triangles pop.

Belinda said...

Loving your fabric choices. I know you will do a great job!

Jayne said...

Your star is going to be amazing! There seems to be something exotic in the choice of fabric. So excited to watch it come together!

I love those mirrors - a friend has one; hours of entertainment!
Happy Quilting!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Now that is really cool! And what a nice gift too!

elliek said...

It was me that sent you an e-mail about how I do y seams, Its just a matter of sewing from the point and instead of back stitching to the point, you lift the needle and go back to the point. This way you don't overshoot the point when you go back to reinforce the seam.

Michelle May said...

It's going to be gorgeous!

Quilthaze said...

I love your fabrics against the red background - very rich and exotic!