to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Stars Will Shine!

So here I am hopping through blogland trying to find out what I've missed out on...and find out that I've missed out on a BIGGIE! 

Sue is having a Lone Star Quiltalong

First, let me back up. I had given you a whole list of books to choose from  and then had you vote what you wanted to learn first. I won't go through them all but here are the top books:
Number one:

Two:

Tied:


So, here's what we are going to do--we of course will start with Star Struck quilts. Since Sue is doing the quilt along on the first Saturday of the month, then that is when I will do at least part of my posts. I will probably post once a week though. I will do my normal teaching style of trying to take the pattern and break it into step-by-step, low stress bites. I have not done a Lone Star, but I will be working ahead of you...remember this is a Learn Along, not a teach along :)
If you wish to make the patterns that we will be making, then you will have to purchase the book. I will not be sharing anything about the pattern on the blog. Just 'how to do the pattern'. 
My first post for you will be the first Saturday in February. It will be a supply post, so for those of you that can't purchase the book until the first of the month, that is fine.

About the book: Barbara not only teaches the basic Lone star but also designs within the Lone Star. It's a wonderful book to learn from because it starts very basic and gets increasingly more challenging. I absolutely love her book and I've got her next one on order from Amazon.(Thank you gift card person--now you know how I spent it!)  The book is not even out yet...so I am having to be patient. I am sure I will want to work through it with you all eventually. Here is that book:


For those of you wondering about the other books...Star Struck Quilts will take quite a bit of time to get through.(and we still have our Ahhhh's!) 
 But I've got great plans in store. We will be learning FOREVER!

 I love the woven backgrounds book and those of you that are artists will love how she paints on fabric for many of her quilts. I really had a hard time choosing which was my favorite between this and the Lone Star so the pole helped. We may even start before we end Lone Stars...but let's get through Spring first and see what happens.
(Gotta save room for the BIGGIE May for Me surprise Event!!!!)

I've also been in contact with Jan Krentz. She's following us on our Lone Star journey and when we start working on her books she will be right here to answer questions. I will discuss her in more detail on the Feb 4th post. We will eventually work through all of her books...with her as our guide. Isn't that exciting??!!
She says maybe we could start with some of her simple books such as this one:

Well, so there you have it. I am back in quiltsy blogland in hyper over-drive. And I am excited about it!

But yes, I won't over commit. I have so many other people's BOM's that I want to do...but most likely I'll do the same as last year and save them on my computer for future use. I need to learn what I want to learn, so that means I can't do all the BOM's out there. I will probably only firmly commit to the one for Seth. At least for now. I hope I don't hurt any of your feelings about that. I need to pick at least one that has stitching though because I really miss embroidery. I've not picked up any embroidery since before Ahhhh time!

p.s. I am very very glad to be back. 

10 comments:

Fiona said...

I see stars in your future.....
Hugz

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Glad you are back!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Welcome back, oh, how exciting about Jan. I think my Mom has that book, so I must search now.

QuiltSue said...

Welcome back to blogland. Your input to the Lone Star days is going to be invaluable. Now I'm off to look at the book you will be using.

Deb said...

Welcome back to the blog! And thanks for your visit over my way. I have Barbara's Star Struck book and think she is amazing! She's my Saturday Sampler teacher...and I'll see her Saturday for our last class. I hope you have a fun fun crafting year!

Belinda said...

We've all missed you very much. I hope you have a great time with this one!!

Linda said...

Yay, you are back!! I'm exceed to learn along with you! I'm heading to Amazon right away to get some of these books. Fun times ahead!!

rubyslipperz said...

You DO have some FUN things planned for quilty learn-alongs. Glad you are back in the Bloggin' groove. =)

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Grace InAZ said...

I envy your quilt-making...the closest I have gotten is pulling one up to my chin to keep warm! I thought once I would like to try quilting, but I am not sure I would stick with it. Maybe some day...
Hugs, GraceinAZ

hope said...

I am ordering the book. Maybe you can give me the prod I need to make up the material that my dh bought 5 years ago to make him a lone star. It sits on a chair in my sewing room taunting me.