to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Kalahari Quilts

I have the COOLEST thing to share with you today. I've been sitting on this for several weeks now just trying to find the right time to share it with you.

It all started with the Quilters Books and Bindings Blog. When Miki posted about the challenge to read The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency and then make a quilt that was inspired by the book, I did what I am always prone to do. I went googling. I had this vision of in my head of a rainbow bargello quilt with a Giraffe and a tree in the foreground. You are not going to believe what I found:

Guess I am not going to make that quilt. But then I just had to stay and look around a while. Let me tell you about Kalahari Quilts. The business was founded in 2006 by Jenny and Danny Healy. Since that time, Danny has passed away, and Jenny is left alone to raise two young children. Her shop is her income. It is the only quilt shop in Botswana. Her quilts are famous..and even made it into the No. 1 Ladies movie. 

Her work is absolutely wonderful.  I just don't know how finds the time to do what she does. 
I am sure necessity drives her.

Jenny Healy has a blog that you can find Right here.
I would take some time and browse her blog and her website gallery.
Everything is just beautiful.

So, what am I doing for my challenge quilt?
Well what do you think all those African Ahhhh's are for, anyway? LOL



10 comments:

Kelli said...

They are amazing! Wow. Gonna go check out her blog. Can't wait to see your challenge quilt! :)

Michelle May said...

Such gorgeous quilts and gorgeous color! I think you would have fun with that challenge.

Gene Black said...

I think you should still make your version of the quilt with a tree and a giraffe. If you had a vision of it, I am sure it was different. Just go for it.

FabricFascination said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful work. Love the colors.

Miki Willa said...

These are great, Tonya. Thank you for sharing them.

KatieQ said...

Thanks for sharing the quilts and the blog. I stopped over and was amazed at the work she does and the motivation behind it. I joined the Quilters, Books, and Binding group, but did not like the first book they picked. I just couldn't get into it. Hopefully, this time I will finish and make the quilt.

rosie said...

Oh Wow!!! Those quilts are amazing, and Jenny is inspirational..

Snoodles said...

I agree with Gene - you should do your vision of that scene, and do it your way....I'm sure it will be lovely!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

I agree with Gene and Snoodles... do your own design. Thanks for sharing such wonderfully colorful quilts!

Connie said...

Her work is beautiful and I agree with Gene, Snoodles and Marcia...your own would be entirely different....go for it!