to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Hillbilly Challenge!

I don't think when Marcia planned her Scrappy Quilt Challenge, she was thinking..."This is one for Tonya and her Hillbilly ways"; but then again, maybe she was! The challenge worked out well for me though, because I had just finished up a baby quilt at Christmas to send to Jerry's nephew. (I'll share it next week hopefully...my blog is a happenin' place lately and I can't seem to fit it in). and had some left over scraps from the charm pack and sashing that I wanted to use in Marcia's challenge.

Ok, so here is why this scrappy quilt pattern was so perfect for this friendly neighborblogland Hillbilly...all I had to do was add a little here, add a little there, cut some off here and then there, nothing was supposed to be even, the rows--are you ready for this-were NOT supposed to line up..catch my drift? Oh, ya, perfect for me!

I followed Marcia's original design of sticking to one color for this quilt. (with the exception of some blue charm squares that I whacked up for the centers).

I think this quilt should be called "Momma, load up the bottles we are going on a Sunny Sunday afternoon car ride". (or something similar that is not near as lengthy.).

I still have to add borders, but I needed to get this linked up and it is now 1 a.m. Borders aren't going to happen tonight. (Hey, I wonder if there are any border fairy's out there kind of like the shoe dwarfs in that one children's fairy tale?) Here is the fabric I am going to use. 
It will have 1" blue and 3" (or so) yellow border:

Marcia is offering free quilting to one winner in the challenge. If I should win in that draw, then I will have Marcia quilt it and send it to Belinda for her Neonatal Intensive Care Unit quilts.
If I don't win, then I'll send it to Marilyn who will quilt it up for her Binky Patrol quilts. 

Why not just quilt it myself?
I have 8 pillow cushion covers and 2 dresden plate quilts that have to get done ASAP. The 2 quilts have been in the works for over a year but the recipient is wanting them. (I really can't blame her.) 
This is also why I am kind of quiet right now. I'll breathe easier when those two quilts are on their way to Marcia's and it will be her job to worry about the quilting!

14 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, what a ray of sunshine! I just love this, well done Tonya. Just a happy quilt indeed.

QuiltSue said...

I love this. I'd never have the courage to make it myself, but it's just great.

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

How about Sunny Sunday Delight? I love the yellows with the Blues! Looks Swedish!
I am so glad you had so much fun making the quilt! Fun, FAST, and nothing to line up or match up or struggle with!
Thanks for letting others know about the giveaway as they still have time to make one and enter! Thanks for linking up!
Have a great day!

KatieQ said...

I love this quilt. It has such a bright and happy feeling.

Eat, Sleep, Quilt said...

I love your yellow quilt, it's sure to make any child happy with such bright colors! I started Marcia's challenge yesterday and I'll have the final top to show on my blog tomorrow. It's a tiny thing but I'm pleased with how E-A-S-Y it was to put together!

Sherry said...

Marcia's challenge sounds like something I would have enjoyed but I have been trying to decide when to say no to myself about projects. I love the sunny yellwo. It was fun catching up with you today. We are snowed in today and my son and his family are with us, they lost their power. Maybe I can get some sewing done.

Heather said...

SO bright and cheerful! That quilt will be loved by whoever is fortunate enough to receive it. (And your name for the quilt made me LOL -- it's perfect!)

Belinda said...

Oh, I love it! And thanks so much for the generous thought! Good luck in the contest! (And not just because you will send it to my NICU kiddos if you win, heh heh!)

Snoodles said...

I am such a sucker for this color combo! Full of sunshine and happiness! Great job, Tonya, this is so pretty!

elliek said...

sunshine quilt... love the colours and going to a worthwhile cause either way.

rubyslipperz said...

YOU DUN GOOD...girl!! Marcia's pattern is so cool...and you gave the pattern "soul-brite" =)

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Kelli said...

What a great scrappy quilt! Sounds like you are keeping VERY busy!

Pat said...

What a beauty! Very bright and happy.
You are a busy girl at the moment :) xx

Junibears said...

Your quilt is like a great big ray of sunshine Tonya! Hugs xx