to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Finally the mystery solution!

Back in the fall I joined the Carol Doak Yahoo Group and did a super fun Twist and Turn Mystery Quilt.
Part of the fun was getting to play around with the blocks after they were completed before the solution was given. At the time I did not have a space to have a play with these blocks, but I do now. Before piecing it together, I tried a few different things.
(The photos are a bit crooked. My design wall is in a narrow hallway and I can't stand back far enough to get a straight shot.)

#1 is the actual mystery solution as designed by Carol.

In the second, I moved the inner red ring and exchanged it with the outer blue ring.

Then, I traded the pink ring for the blue ring.

Finally, I changed the red and blue blocks to point up instead of down

After it was all said and done, I couldn't decide at all. 
So I went back to the original. Silly me.
Added a couple of borders...and DONE!

I am actually leaving it as a flimsy. I have no idea what to do with it. It's too wild for a charity quilt. I got to thinking that it's a real eye catcher, so I think I will hang it up high at craft shows-not to sell but to draw attention. (Ha! I've yet to even set up at a craft show for the last 10 years at least!) At any rate, I am not going to use up any batting for it right now. 

22 comments:

Wanda said...

I love it. What fun colors. Oh you should finish it and sell it, someone would love to have it.

--
Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I agree, finish this one up and put a price tag on it. Yes, use it for a backdrop in a booth, but if someone offers the price, take it. I passed on this one, but have enjoyed everyones work on it.

Dorian said...

That's lovely Tonya. I don't know why a bright, eye catching quilt can't be a charity quilt?! But yes, it would make a great eye catcher at a show. Great job.

Belinda said...

Oh, I bet you had a blast doing that! It's beautiful and I'm sure it would really catch the eye for a craft booth.

krisgray said...

WOW! That is lovely and I liked all your layout options, too. Too hard to choose just one. Congrats on a great finish.

rooee said...

whoa! great job! it will be a stunner whatever you decide to do with it. :)

Patty@Granma's said...

WOW! Just how big is this beauty anyway? I think it's glory-gorgeous! I would display it high on a wall (sticky little fingers, you know) and smile everytime I walked by it!! But I'm an Americana lover, and can't imagine selling it - it's priceless!

Sharon said...

It's great Tonya! Oh the decisions...I liked them all the different ways you showed. :)

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Incredibly beautiful! Love the way your decided to do the lay out! That is so cool and I also love it cause it has blue in it! Lots of BLUE! So cool!

Carrie P. said...

Wow! that is a cool looking quilt. Well done!

Quiltin' Sandy said...

That is fantastic!! Lovely work, Tonya. :)

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

It looks wonderful, Tonya!!

Fiona said...

It looks fantastic... great work..
Hugz

TheBeasKnees said...

Wow, Tonya! Nicely done!

Quiltaholic said...

WOW WEEE! That is amazing! LOVE IT! TFS!

KatieQ said...

Cool quilt! Nice work. Your points look so crisp. If I made a quilt that looked that great, I would not leave it a flimsy. I would quilt that baby up and show it off big time.

elliek said...

Tonya, this quilt looks fantastic. Don't see why it couldn't be a charity quilt or sold as it's very eye catching. Think it needs to be quilted! Have a great day

QuiltSue said...

What a great quilt. I loved several of the alternative layouts you came up with too.

Michelle May said...

It's fabulous! Yes indeed, you should sell it!

janie said...

I love this quilt, I have tried to joing this group with C. Doak and nothing seems to happen, what am I doing wrong? I know this isn't your problem but, I thought maybe you would have a quick anwser.
Just found your blog and love it, keep up (although I don't know how you do it) the good work.

Hillbilly Tonya said...

Janie--you are a no reply blogger and I have no way to email you. I haven't been part of the group very long and don't know how to help you. I've another friend that does a lot with groups. If you read this, email me at Hillbillyhandiworks@gmail.com and we will see what we can do.

Hillbilly Tonya said...

Janie--you are a no reply blogger and I have no way to email you. I haven't been part of the group very long and don't know how to help you. I've another friend that does a lot with groups. If you read this, email me at Hillbillyhandiworks@gmail.com and we will see what we can do.