to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Diary

I've had so much happen already at the time of writing this that I thought I'd keep a little diary of things during my week off. Of course, at our house a week off cannot be calm and peaceful. There is always SOMETHING, isn't there?? (I'll try not to be too long-winded).

12-25-11 3:45 a.m. Christmas Eve/Christmas morning

Just got back from the emergency room with Amy. She wasn't going to be able to be with us for Christmas but her dad cancelled on her. That sent her into tears but it all worked out for good because the minute she got to my house, I dropped everything and drove her to the hospital.

She had an emergency root canal on Thursday but it just got worse. 
And worse. And worse.(Don't blame the dentist, he has been worried sick about her too, checking on her every few hours). She just waited too long and the infection got out of control.
At the hospital they gave her a shot of Antibiotic; and then an iv full; and a shot of pain killer every hour.
Thank goodness for Walgreen's. Because where else could you get a prescription filled at 2 a.m. on Christmas Eve/morning? Actually three prescriptions. Amy is taking so much antibiotic the hospital gave her multiple warnings about her stomach.
As we were driving home, Amy said, "Mom, I have so much fun when I am with you. Even if it's at the hospital." Oh, daughter, I have to agree!


12-25-11   10:00 p.m.

I am exhausted. I got to bed at 4 am then Amy was back up by 5:30 in terrible pain. Her face is more swollen than last night but the antibiotics should start working tomorrow. We had a wonderful Christmas in spite of taking care of my invalid. And she is spending the night again. That makes me so happy! (Of course, I didn't give her a choice). My pillow is calling to me so loudly. I'll sleep better knowing that Amy is finally sleeping soundly as well. (the flash in the dark room didn't even stir her)


12-26-11   5:00 pm

I feel almost guilty typing this; I have 40 emails in my inbox that I need to answer but I just cannot right now. Today I spent the morning making a last minute gift for Amy to give to someone. It was nice that I got the chance to make the hot pads that I've been wanting to. I have design changes I want to make to each of them; but here are the ones I made for Amy to gift:
Small finger pads. The yellow portion is a pocket for your fingers or thumb. And they have magnets sewn in so that they can hang on the side of the microwave.


A round one and a super long one; both with hand pockets. The long one is for taking out casseroles and cookie sheets. One hand in each side and it wraps around and protects your arms.
Amy loved them! We got them gift wrapped and she left.
And I cried. I miss my daughter so much. We are very close. Plus, she is the ONLY female face that I ever see. I love you guys and I love talking to you; but sometimes it gets really hard to stay in this house day in and day out and have your entire social life be on a computer.

12-27-11  11:00 a.m.

Computers are time snatchers. As I went to sleep last night, I determined that I would ONLY answer emails this morning and do nothing else computer wise until I finished some important sewing for a friend. Without even looking at my reader blogs I have already been here for quite some time!Well, so it goes. My computer life is an important one. Now I need to go sew!

I am so proud of Stephen's first ever watercolor painting that he worked on while I answered emails:




12-28-11   11:31 p.m

I got to machine sew tonight! What a blessing that was. Of course I had to spend many precious moments winding a bunch of bobbins. Eighteen in fact. But then I finally got the baby quilt all pieced together.(I'll share photos when it is finished.) Wrestling within myself on whether to hand quilt or machine quilt it. I would love to hand quilt and make some pretty designs, but time is a huge factor. I've got so much to do! I guess I'll sleep on it and decide in the morning...

12-29-11 2:51 p.m.

Here's the mail,
It never fails,
it makes me want to wag my tail,
And when it comes I want to wail, "MAIL!!!!".

Yes, the mailman just came. I am in love. Completely smitten. I think the mailman is starting to suspect that I wait in anticipation for him. Oh how I cannot wait to share what he brought today! This blog break thing is SOOOOO hard on me. But I am getting things done. Like that baby quilt. Off to baste it...

1-1-12 9:30 p.m.

I can't believe that I have taken this long of a blog break. It has been good as I've gotten so much accomplished. Tomorrow for my last day of the blog break I think I'll catch up on all of you all and see what I've missed!

As I sit here I do think about what will 2012 bring for each of us? Who will have heartache and sorrow, who will have medical problems, who will be surprised with the blessing of a new life? Where will the natural disasters hit this year? Who will become my new friend? I meet new friends every year. Blog family...I just want you to know that I love you. Whatever 2012 brings we are here together to love one another, hug one another and I can't wait to see what the year brings!

And you know what?? I can't stand it...I am hitting that PUBLISH button...

16 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

I'm so glad you're back, Tonya. I missed your drama and your humor. Your poor daughter! what a trooper. She was lucky to be with you at this time. Merry Christmas and here's to a Sew Happy New Year!

FabricFascination said...

What a sweet post Tonya. I hope your Amy is better by now. What a tough Christmas with that pain, but you all managed to enjoy it anyway. Hoping for a blessed and peaceful 2012 for you and your family.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It doesn't hurt to un-plug us - your family needed you and you needed your family. Things will blend and meld and come to pass. And yes, you need some ME time.

Melody said...

Dear Tonya, I hope 2012 brings you much happiness. Hope your dear daughter is feeling better too.

grannyanne said...

Wow, awesome job Mom! This year will be better, I can feel it.

sweetybird09 said...

Tonya, I am praying for your daughters healing, I too have been taking a break from blogging, and now I am getting back at it.

Pat said...

Hi Tonya, everyone needs a break now and then!
Sorry that Amy went through that awful infection. Hope she's feeling much better now.
Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy new year xx

QuiltSue said...

Oh your poor daughter. I hope she's OK now?

Love Stephen's painting, it reminds me of blue summer skies.

Groovy Pumpkin said...

Hello Tonya, sending love to you and your family - especially belated birthday wishes to Stephen! Also, I hope Amy is feeling better now.

I'm hoping to keep my Blog updated much more regularly this year, now Daisy is a bit bigger - she'll be 1 next month - can you believe it!!??

Anyway, hope to keep in touch more this year, take care y'all!!
xxxx
Jane

Linda said...

A break from internet life is just fine. I have been distant from it lately too. Just reading the blogs I follow but not really commenting or writing myself. I hope to get back on track when the gang is back at work/school. I hope Amy is feeling better now and will continue to stay healthy! That little Stephen is quite the artist. lol Oh and like you, I think the same thoughts as your 1-1-2012 entry. What will 2012 bring? I wish only good things for my friends and family but you never know what is in store for us all! I know for sure it will be a year full of memory making!

Belinda said...

Oh poor Amy. I can't believe she let you take her photo! What a gal. I'm very blessed to have my daughter so close and get to see her practically every day. Sometimes I'm too blessed. Ha!

Stephen is very gifted. I wish my grandson would sit and work like that.

Love the hot pads! Maybe I'll try something like that this year.

So glad you got some sewing time in.

We followers love you too Tonya. I'm so thankful I found you.

Take care and wishing blessings to you and your family in 2012!

Snoodles said...

Sometimes it is important to just step back and re-group! I'm glad that you were able to be there for your sweet daughter, and hope she is much improved now...Stephen is an amazing little guy- love his artwork! Your hotpads are wonderful! I hope this new year is a healthy, happy one for all of us!

KatieQ said...

I'm glad you were able to be there for Amy. You really are having a busy time of it between Stephen's sickness and poor Amy's infection. I hope you take a little time just to unwind and refresh yourself. Drama is great for creating interesting blog posts, but it takes a toll on your mind and body. (I was going to say it takes a toll on body and soul, but that was too hokey even for me).

Patty@Granma's said...

So that's what you meant by a crazy Christmas! Mine pales by comparison! Hugs to all of you, and Peace Joy and Prosperity in the New Year.

Christine M said...

Poor Amy. I hope she is feeling a bit better now. It's lucky she was with you. Hopefully 2012 will be a better year for you with no more sickness. Hugs, Christine

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Sorry to hear about Amy. I am so glad she came by you and you could care for her! Love the photo!
Glad you are taking a break ---- You do need Me time and family time!
I started to read this a couple days ago and finally got a little blog time to leave a comment!
Sending love from one blogger friend to another!