Saturday, January 21, 2012

Burning the Midnight Oil


For quite sometime I've wanted to be a part of project quilting. 
I love the challenges. I need the boost because I really rely to heavily on patterns.
I have always wanted to make MY OWN creations. 
This time around I am very much hoping that I get to work on every challenge. But even one here and there will be fun. 

The first challenge was Architectural Elements, but was pretty open other than using a photo for inspiration.
There were so many way cool buildings to choose from. 
First, I loved this one and thought about weaving a quilt:

Then I decided maybe I would do a whole quilt with all different types of shoes and the people that live in them:

But then decided I wanted to go Kansas City style, and since I love to read, thought I would use the Kansas City Public Library for inspiration:

But, sadly there is only ONE week from the time the challenge is issued to have a quilt completed.
So I had to go with something much more simple:


BORING!
But that's ok, I did at least have some good ideas for the other quilts. 
And this one I dressed  up a bit. 
I got to thinking about how often I work late at night, 
so I designed this and named it,
"Burning the Midnight Oil".

I embroidered a little clock in one of the windows:
Not bad for my first challenge.
Still wish I would have had time for my other ideas though.

There's another challenge starting Sunday. I can't wait to see what it is. I may not have time this time with some orders that I need to get done, but we'll see. I may not be able to resist either. I've been wanting to do these for so long! Just click on the Project quilting photo at the top to go visit Kim's Crafty Apple and join us.

Oh--there's some great prizes each time too!
Here's what I won the last go around:

It's a pattern to make several zippered bags. With step by step zipper scare proof instructions.
Yippee!! Now that I needed! 
(I will certainly find time to try these soon. I've been wanting to made zippered bags for so long!)
You can find the pattern At Studio Cherie

19 comments:

Christine M said...

Your quilt looks really good Tonya. Well done! The zippered bag pattern looks like a good one. Very handy!

grannyanne said...

Great job! I love your ideas too and like how you found inspiration in those pictures. It takes me too long to make anything so I will just cheer you on from the sidelines. Okay? Ha ha!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think you did a wonderful job - love the idea of the stitched clock and the bright windows amongst the dark.

QuiltSue said...

That's so clever. The clock is a stroke of genius I think. It says everything about what you were trying to convey in the design of the quilt.

Barb said...

What a wonderful quilt...and so defines most of us...

Belinda said...

Those were all really great ideas, and you did a wonderful job. My thought process just doesn't work well for coming up with this kind of thing, so I envy you!

Great quilt!

Angie said...

You really have no idea how talented your are!
Nice job!!

Snoodles said...

Wonderful idea, and the finish looks super! You did a great job!

Sheila said...

I think you did an amazing job on this challenge quilt and a great name for it too. Oh I also want to mention I love the Kansas city Library , now that is neat!

KatieQ said...

Congratulations on completing the challenge with such a great quilt. I follow this challenge, but never had the nerve to enter. One week is a really short turnaround for me. I love the little clock you embroidered in the window.

Sue Daurio said...

Wow, that is an awesome quilt, great job!!

Carrie P. said...

I think your quilt is great. It really does remind me of the building. the clock and yellow blocks are great ways to get your eyes to move around the quilt.

Susan said...

Although the other ideas (and I love the Longaberger building, don't you?) are great, I really like the one you did. It's original and creative, and the simple things are sometimes the best!

Fiona said...

love your interpretation..... well done...
Hugz

Lynda said...

Really great quilt. Love the mention of burning the midnight oil. Very creative. And...you have all those ideas for more quilts!

FabricFascination said...

Hooray for Project Quilting. I really like your entry. Congrats on winning the pattern too.

Michelle May said...

Beautiful job sweets! Hope your birthday weekend was as beautiuful and as special as you are! Know you are loved!
xx

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

I think your first project for project quilting is perfect! You took the challenge and you created! Sometimes you have to go the easier route, but you still got to create!
Great Quilt!
And cool pattern!

Pat said...

Love to see the buildings which inspired you - and the midnight oil quilt is fab - very artistic!