to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Are you up for a challenge?

2012 will be my year of challenges. I don't make New Years Resolutions. That just is a recipe for defeat in my book. But challenges I love. They give me a deadline. They give me something to focus on.

On my book review blog I am participating in 11 reading challenges (so far). I didn't even know there was such a thing. I am loving it because it is expanding my horizons to read things that I never have. From historical fiction to time travel...it should be a good year of reads.

I am also hoping to get my quilt life more into challenges. I think they inspire me to be more creative and think on my own and not just follow the patterns of others.

*Quilting Gallery already has their weekly contest themes listed for the entire year. I've gone through them and notated some that I thought would make a fun challenge for me. (Like "Wind, Earth, Fire, Water" or "Just squares".) You can find the list Here.

Kim's Crafty Apple has her WONDERFUL project quilting. A new season of challenges starts in January. I've always wanted to do these but never have been able to because you only have one week from the moment it has been released to get this project completed. I am sure going to attempt to get a couple of them done this time around!

*Quilters, Books and Bindings has a newish blog that you friends of reading and quilting needs to visit. We will begin a read-a-long soon, and then after reading the book we will create a quilt that is inspired by the book.

*Sharon pointed out the Color Challenge at Patchwork Times. This looks like GREAT fun! Thank you Sharon!! Another for me to join in :)

Well, here on my blog, I am all about learning. My first learning challenge was for us to learn paper piecing. Only one brave soul joined me in the challenging Mabry Mill quilt; and she did a fabulous job!

Several more have joined in my journey of learning Ahhhh's. And I think all of us are having fun with that.

 So what's next? Well, since I have so many new friends, it is time to have a little challenge of my own. I've visited this before but it's time for a re-visit. And this time I have figured a way to help insure commitments are kept. First lets take another look at the books that I want to personally work through starting this year (and this will probably go into the next year...and probably the next after that...)






Do any of these strike your fancy? Well go vote! Now! And then be thinking if you would like to join me on my learning journey. You will have to purchase the book yourself...same as if you were in a class. I will teach the how's step by step here on the blog... also the same as if you were in a class. Only this will be FAR less expensive than a quilt class.(Free other than your purchase of the book and your own choice of materials.)

Remember my nice giveaway last week? Well, I will make up some very nice giveaway's for each book that we work through. To qualify you will have to purchase the book, work through it with me and post about it on your blog (or email me with photos if you do not have a blog.) Next year is going to be a fun, challenging year in my Hillbilly World.

13 comments:

Quiltaholic said...

"Challenges" ... hey that's a GREAT way to look at it! THANK YOU! You know, I think I'll "challenge" myself to complete ALL of my UFOs before starting a new one lol! I think I'll just open the bins and work from the top down, no matter the quilt and just finish it! YAY! lol! Melekalikimaka Hau'oli La Hana, Sistah! *HUUUUGS*

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have the 'Pick Four' that I would really like to work out of along with the Color Palette Challenge with Judy's group - those two should work nicely together.

Heather said...

I have a lot of 'goals' for 2012... I prefer to call them that... tangible, attainable things that I can accomplish!

I voted but I doubt I'll join you... I'm doing the ahhh hexi's with you but I have too many of my own things I want to learn next year! :)

SewLindaAnn said...

I don't have any of those, woven quilts is one I have wanted to get and I'm hoping Amazon gets it back.

Pat said...

Star Struck and Flower Show appeal to me.. couldn't you do those anyway Tonya, so your non quilting friend can ooh and aah over them? :) xx

Hillbilly Tonya said...

I've tried to vote from my computer for those that have mentioned so far..but if someone mentions one more than once I won't be able to vote for that twice from my computer. So from here out if you have a favorite...whether you will be joining or not...there is a poll on the side for you to vote on.

Fiona said...

You are so full of great ideas.... all of these look fun...
Hugz

Belinda said...

I would like to think I could join you for this. I can't decide which I like best, the woven quilts or the bargello, but either one would be challenging and fun. I think...THINK... I could participate, but not right after the first of the year. I have something hanging over my head that must be finished. :/ Good luck and I'll hope for the best!

Jsoosay said...

I love your blog but if you keep this up I might be in trouble. Everything sounds so fun and I'm needing to challenge myself a little now too. I've been stuck in a bit of a rut lately. I'll definitely stay tuned for more!!! :) Thanks for the inspiration.

Kylie Lloyd said...

My choice would have to be a Lone Star Quilt. It's on my bucket list.

KatieQ said...

I really like the idea of working through a book to learn new skills. I voted for Pick 4.

rubyslipperz said...

OH...Tonya...these are all great ideas. I think it would be fun to visit and see what you are up to as you work through the books.

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Cool! I voted! You always have great quilting ideas!
You know I love challenges!