to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Ahhhh 5--Sliced Hexagon



Artistic, Hexotic, Hop-A-Long, Hex-a-long, Hillbilly, Hectic Hexies 

I changed the size of the hexagons that I have been working with. I was able to make one that went all the way to the edge of the paper, and still be divided by triangles. The new size is 8 3/4" point to point, which is a bit over 7 1/2" from straight edge to straight edge.

This new size meant that I wanted to start from scratch with my ideas of what type of quilt to make. The rainbow quilt was fun, but using the plain fabrics was no fun without fussy cuts. So, I looked through my fabric, and fell in love all over again with my African and Asian fabrics. Of course these are completely opposite. I went with African first. I have some really wild ones. Be watching for some wild, crazy Hexagons coming your way!

For your Ahhhh number 5, this is probably the easiest hexagon we will do. But it is the base design that we will be using for quite a few weeks. So get really used to drawing this:

It looks like pie slices so I am just calling it the "Sliced Hexagon". 
It's great for playing around with fussy cut stripes.

Here is the first of my On the Wild Side African hexagons:

It's not lined up perfectly. 
If you look close, you'll notice the lines are wavy. 
So when I tried to line them up, I really shouldn't have, because there is no way they would.
For example..look at the blue ones closest to the dots. 
They are really wide on one end and narrow on the other. 
Then if you look at the pink above the blue they are the same. 
Wider at one end than the other. 
Silly me, those won't line up!
Well, no matter. It is wild and I love it!

13 comments:

FabricFascination said...

Great design, and I like that the stripes don't line up.

Jill@northstarquilting said...

Oh yay! I can knock some of these out this week and feel like I'm achieving something.

Stray Stitches said...

What a fun and bright hexie! There is so much energy in this one.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love that fabric and so cool in your AAAHhh

Belinda said...

Looks good to me sister! I really like that fabric.

Heather said...

Looks great! I need to catch up now! I'm way behind...

Michelle said...

Very effective I like it! :O)

sandra said...

Looks good tonya, love your stripes. Will get a start on mine tonight.

Linda said...

I'm Ahh-ing this one! I think this one I can do :) Love your stripes!!

Kylie Lloyd said...

excited about the new hexagon. I've decided to keep mine the same size as my other ones. I have the sliced pieces all measured up and ready to baste with some fabric. Now to think about the fabric.

Angie said...

Pretty! Looks very native american -I love it.

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

WOW I love the Hexagon! The strips are fantastic! I like that they don't line up. Makes it look cooler!

Jeni said...

wow first time i have seen that design