Friday, November 25, 2011

Mabry Moments!

Last winter I was a frazzled female. Really frazzled. Jerry's health issues were bad back then, Seth's schooling was going terrible back then, Amy was going through some things...it was just a bunch of stuff all on my shoulders. So, my friend Marcia suggested that I start make more time for me. We put our heads together, and that is when May for Me was born.

When May rolled around, we found it was Marcia that struggled finding "me" time. While my husband is now better, my son is doing great with his schoolwork and my daughter is doing fantastic, Marcia has had a hard summer/fall. She really has a lot on her plate right now and December looks to be one of the toughest months yet for her. A couple of weeks ago she created a Linky party called, "Minutes for Me" I am so glad that she did because it forces us all to find just a little bit of time each week to do something for ourselves.

One thing that I really like is to get projects finished. I cannot stand starting new projects while others are sitting around. And right now I have more projects sitting around than I've ever had in my life! So this week, I purposely made some minutes for me...and yep, you guessed it, I finished up Mabry Mill. Finally!

For those that don't know, we started this Mabry journey several months ago when I was teaching Foundation Paper Piecing here on the blog. I posted a photo of Mabry Mill and asked if anyone would like to join me in making it. I had several that said yes, but when it got right down to it, only one was able to commit and stick to it. Linda has done a great job, because Mabry is a very hard piece to quilt and she is new to paper piecing!

Here is my finished Mabry Mill. I am going to add a few borders, including some leaves, but you won't see that for awhile because I sent this part home with my daughter Amy to have fun picking all those papers off the back. She actually enjoys it (she's kind of crazy that way).

I am linking this up with Marcia's Minutes for Me.
Thank you Marcia for encouraging me to find time for myself!
And thank you Linda for sticking with it with me!

14 comments:

Snoodles said...

Wow, wow, wow! Now that I see the whole thing, I am even more impressed! That is wonderful, Tonya! I love the colors you chose, and the reflection in the water is so striking! I'm so glad that you were able to find some "you" time so that you could finish it!

Fiona said...

so glad you found some me time... love your Mabry Mill picture (you know I do!!)
Hugz

Stray Stitches said...

Your Mabry Mill is absolutely amazing and gorgeous! I have so enjoyed watching the progress and have learned so much about paper pieceing from you. Thanks for sharing!!

Pat said...

Tonya, that is absolutely beautiful!
Well done to you and Linda for sticking with it. You have a scrumptious piece of artistic quilt and I hope Linda has the same. Well done xx

Michelle May said...

It's beautiful! So glad you had some mintues for you to finish this beautiful piece!
xx

Linda said...

My gosh Tonya! This looks AMAZING! Love your fabric selections. I hope to finish my Mabry very soon. Minutes for me are harder to come by during the holiday. Thanks for being there to help me out when I am stuck working on Mabry. lol I still may text ya when putting it all together though :) he he he Definitely will share mine when its done :) Hugs

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

I am so glad you found a few minutes to finish your paper piecing quilt! It looks great! And thanks for linking up and sharing your post in the Minutes for Me Linky Party! You are a busy Mom with lots on your plate and that is why you feel so good when you get a few minutes a week to play! It refreshes you and makes you a better mom and a better person! Again - Congrats on your project!

Patty@Granma's said...

So tell me the actual size of this piece. After watching you put together those smaller-than-a-pin pieces I was looking for something postcard sized. It's lovely, but it hurts my eyes just to think about such tiny, tiny piecework ;-)

Kat Scribner said...

Wow. That is just a beautiful piece of art, Tonya!

Belinda said...

That. Is. Unbelievable. Period.

The colors are awesome. The scene is wonderful. You are definitely an artist with fabric.

rosie said...

Tonya your Mabry Mill quilt is fantastic..
So glad that you are making time for yourself.. I feel for your friend, and hope that things turn out ok..

Sherry said...

I think it is amazing and I am so glad you took the time to finish and share this beautiful paper piecing project. I too have many unfinished projects and think I will head upstairs and try to finish one. Thanks for the inspiration.

FabricFascination said...

This is a beautiful piece, good for you sticking to it. It was definitely worth it.

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world!