to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, November 4, 2011

Design wall Woes

My friend Marcia is having a new linky party each week. She is calling it Minutes for Me. She has always been a great encouragement to me to take some time for myself!


So, this week for my minutes for me, I decided to get myself a design wall. That was a very foolish decision. Why? Well, I'll just tell you!

I've never really had the need for a design wall. I can usually picture things in my head pretty well. And if I was doing a 'normal' quilt (like I am ever normal!), I would just use Ol Frog Eyes. But, then this Carol Doak Twisted Mystery quilt came along and I am now in need of a wall. My mystery has been on hold until I get a way to lay out my blocks. (Toddlers and quilts on the floor don't mix.)

So...I asked on the Quilt group for some ideas for a portable design wall and after hearing all the ideas I decided that I would get a  4x8 insulation board. Well, now that was easier said than done. We have 3 hardware stores in town, and I went to all three. No insulation boards in town. So, the guy at Porters told me about "Pressed something or other Board." (I can't remember the real name.) He said it is commonly used for bulletin boards and is not too heavy. Seeing as how I want a design board, and I have been patient about it long enough, I agreed.

Taking my little 'order' to the warehouse, I had no idea what I was in for. The older gentlemen who probably has worked there for a very long time had no clue what the "Pressed something or other Board" was. So after looking for literally an HOUR found a piece of green foam board somewhere. He went to cut it in half for me and the thing busted a big piece of it.

The ol' guy goes back out to the back warehouse and starts digging out all the trucks, etc. so that he can get a good look around. A half hour later he comes back in a dusty mess and says that the boards are all bad and that I just need to get a refund. We go in to get my refund (keep in mind we've been here over an hour waiting), and the two men get into an argument. The ol' guy had been looking for the wrong stuff all along.

Twenty minutes later--he's found it! He brings it up and I have him cut it in half to fit into my car. It won't fit. Not in the back or the trunk. And according to the sign, "Their insurance will not allow them to tie anything to the roof of cars." Now for those that don't know...we only have one car. So they sit my board aside until I can bring my husband up later. He seemed to think he could get it to fit even though I couldn't.

It didn't fit. By this time it was pouring down a very cold rain, the power was out, and we were at a loss what to do. It's not like we have friends/family to help. My husband just gave up and leaned it up against their building and walked away. Who needs a design wall anyway? The store was locked up for the night by this time, but I think they took pity on us, because they opened the door and took our address to just deliver the board the next day. Free.

So, here it sits. No photos as it is not pretty yet. It is in two 4x4 sheets and I think I will just use a 4x4 size. Maybe for my minutes for Me next week I can show it up and working.

Question...shall I cover with flannel, batting or fleece? I've heard all three. Shout out if you have a preference. Thank you.

Oh, and I am linking with Minutes for Me!

16 comments:

Stray Stitches said...

Oh my goodness! What an ordeal! I think I would go with the batting to use as a cover. Everything seems to stick to that.

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Flannel - I am putting it in the mail to you today - for FREE - I sell 60 inch wide white flannel. People use it for design walls and for ironing boards. They delivered for FREE, I am providing the flannel for FREE - but I want pictures after you cover it! It will work perfectly. and you do need a design wall -- you share with us every day, all of your wonderful creations! Thanks so much -- you inspire all of us! and I like that it was your "Minutes for ME"! Thanks for sharing by me too!

Fiona said...

what a story... I use flannel... and your friend Marcia is your angel this weekend.... excellent....
Hugz

Belinda said...

Marcia is some kind of woman, ain't she?!!! Glad it finally worked out for you. Slow and steady wins the race.....

Sarah Craig said...

How nice of Marcia to send you the flannel! I have a wonderful, portable design wall designed by Fons & Porter that is basically a plastic gridded sheet backed with flannel. It has grommets at the top like a shower curtain, (about the same size, too!) and I have those removable hooks on the wall that I can hook it onto when I need it, and take it down when I don't. It works great for me!

Patty@Granma's said...

I use a sheet of ridged foam core (my hubby is a custom framer)that is 42 x 48'' and very light weight. pins stick into it easily and it can hang, lean or lie down, according to your needs ;-) And the surface wipes clean, in case some little person with M&Ms gets too close.
But most people I know use flannel or batting - I'm just cheap!

Jorge and Evielynne's RV Road Adventures said...

both you and Marcia make a heck of a team... Flannel - lol jorge is working with it a lot these days. Sure glad it worked out..

~Evielynne

sweetybird09 said...

Glad you have a friend that is helping you out, show us the finished board!

Jill@northstarquilting said...

I hope you get it sorted out soon, I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. You seem to have had a nightmare day. I have the problem that I don't have any spare wall to hang a design wall!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Buy a flannel backed table cloth. You still might need to pin the pieces, but, you can easily hang it on the wall. You can also use the same thing to cover your board. Hope this helps.

KatieQ said...

I'm go glad Marcia is sending you the flannel. After all you went through, you certainly deserve it. I hope once your design wall is in place it inspires you to even more creative adventures.
I can sympathize with your lack of power. We lost our power on Saturday. October 29th and it was finally restored late Thursday night. We finally got our internet service late Friday night. The 10 inches of wet, heavy snow really ruined Halloween for the local kids.

Snoodles said...

Sweet Marcia to help you with the flannel! Can't wait to see what you put up on your design board!!

Melissa said...

Oh, Tanya! Yikes!!! Well thank goodness you have it home now. I would vote for flannel. Batting shreds and everything sticks to fleece. In my house, it would be mysteriously covered with dog hair in about 3.5 seconds after hanging it!

Michelle May said...

Good for you and so glad it's home! I agree, flannel will be perfect!

desertskyquilts said...

You can't beat free flannel. I always go with foam core and 100% cotton batting myself, but then I'm buying it. What a tale of your acquisition of the whatever-it-is!

I have so many projects going on, I have to keep a design wall going just to keep them all organized! I'm putting up a bigger one that covers my whole bedroom wall!

Sherry said...

Thanks for sharing your story and I look forward to seeing you flannel covered design wall.