to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, November 18, 2011

-- A Little Girl's Star

Thank you all for your kind comments yesterday and your patience on waiting for your Ahhhh. I hope when you see today's that it will be worth the wait! Stephen did get better last evening and ate, but  did not sleep well again last night. His tummy is still a bit rumbly. Tomorrow is Seth's birthday, so Lysol is my best friend and I am hoping that we can keep anyone else from catching it before then :).
 Now, can I get an Ohhhh and an Ahhhh for this weeks:

Artistic, Hexotic, Hop-A-Long, Hex-a-long, Hillbilly, Hectic Hexie

Remember this is only about 6 1/2" wide. 
And has 96 pieces.
(I am kind of proud of it.)

The original pattern is called "A Little Girl's Star" and was published in the Kansas City Star on Aug 15, 1950

Ready to begin?
Start with this again:

Next making sure the point is up
(or too the side since my camera flipped it again--see pink arrow),
draw a line in the middle hexagon, but do not include a triangle on each end.



Do the same to make an asterisk type symbol.
Note that it does not go to the edges.

Now play connect the dots, creating a star:

Do the same in every other hexagon area:

I found it was easiest to use my ruler and draw all the lines in a row at one time:

Then you can just flip it and your ruler around and do the other lines. 
I didn't get to make a second pattern, but here is one way that you can color it in:

The easiest way to sew these is to sew all the stars first,
then add the outer diamonds to all the stars (green on the drawing),
then do the triangles last.

Can't wait to see you add it to the 

Remember, there will be no Ahhhh next week, so you have an extra week to complete this one. We will be using a new beginning design element when we get back.
 I have actually found a couple more using this one, but we will put it away for now and revisit it later. Let's just say I have enough to keep us busy for a long while :)

13 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is not only an AAHHH, but an OH MY GOODNESS!!

Belinda said...

Good grief! Well, I know now I will never be able to do this. But, I'm having a good time watching you!

I'm sorry Stephen is still having issues. Poor thing. I sure hope and pray the rest of you dodge the bullet!

Stray Stitches said...

Amazing! Beautiful! Gorgeous!! You should be very proud of this block!!!!

elliek said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! I love this block. I wasn't going to do it with 96 pieces but I SOOOOOO am. Lucky we have two weeks. Love the snowmen faces.

Michelle May said...

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous!
Hope all is well with the wee one so birthday festivities can ensue on a fun note. :)
xx

sweetybird09 said...

Im still praying that Stephen gets better soon, and that Seth has a good b'day tomorrow

Great job on that quilt piece, I love the name...ohhhhh ahhhhhhh!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

WOW! Love the block! 96 pieces! That's amazing... How long did it take just to stitch one star? Amazing... It was worth the wait to see it!

sandra said...

It's just beautiful Tonya. Can't wait to get started.
Hope Stephen is all better.

Snoodles said...

Wowser! Ninety-six pieces? Are you serious? Sigh. You are one talented lady! Awesome block, dearie!

rosie said...

That is simply amazing Tonya.. I am gob-smacked.... Hope your little man is well now..xx

Pokey said...

This looks like so much work, but oh, it is a beauty of a piece! I like your fussy cutting, it pays off ~
:-}pokey

Maria Wallin said...

Beautiful and completely insane! Love it! =D

Mommarock said...

I just found your blog.. I'm so glad I did, and I have a lot of catching up to do. But did you just see my eyes bug out when I saw this one LOL!!