to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Pointing Star

Artistic, Hexotic, Hop-A-Long, Hex-a-long, Hillbilly, Hectic Hexies 

I think I need to save that name as a photo or something. It will make it easier to type each week. I was worried that today's hexagon was going to be late. We had power outages yesterday and I almost did not get it posted. That would have been tragic!

Before we begin, I want to warn you that there will be a couple of weeks coming up that we won't have any Ahhhh's posted. It can be catch up time for you. I will not post Thursday, November 24th--that is Thanksgiving Day here in the States. Also, I will not post for the two weeks surrounding Christmas. I do this for you, not me, as I usually have lots of free time during the holidays. My husband works the second job on most holidays; but I expect the rest of you to be very busy so we will take a two week break at that time.

Also, I hope that you like stars. Most of the blocks will be stars, although there will be some variety along the way. Onto today's block...drumroll....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take your hexagon/triangle paper and divide it up exactly as you did for last weeks hexagon. (All previous weeks will always be posted up on the English paper piecing page.) Your divisions should look like this:

Look familiar? Now we are going to divide the middle hexagon.
Draw a line from corner point to corner point, shown below in red.

Repeat for the other two corners.

And that is it! Seems simple, but it completely changes the design of last week's hexagon.
Here it is colored in, but the red is a bit distracting.
Hold up a minute and I'll show you the real thing.

To cut these, if you are going to use the same coloring as mine, where your middle forms diamonds instead of triangles, you need to be careful to cut them out as one piece. They can be pieced separately, but who wants extra work? Just carefully cut them out like this:



And here is the finished piece.
The Pointing Star


I am fairly sure that the fabric wasn't quite as wild in 1940 though. 
I absolutely LOVE my fabric choice this week. I would have done the little triangles black, 
but I want black to be the background fabric.

13 comments:

sandra said...

ahhhh, looking good Tonya. Alas, it will have to wait till Saturday. But that's O.K., I will enjoy it then.

Samelia's Mum said...

Wow, beautiful.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, this turned out so pretty!! I love the fabric you chose. Just adds some sparkle to it. Great break-down of the design and templates.

Pat said...

What a beauty! I'm awe struck by your patience and creativity. xx

flowerofshona said...

wow love this!!
Have just cut the pattern out (second time as first time i forgot the extra 1/4" LOL ).
Thanks so much Tonya xxx

Stray Stitches said...

Gorgeous results!!

Belinda said...

I'm in love with this! Those colors are wonderful together. One of these days....just one of these days, I'll do something like this. I keep promising myself. LOL!

Snoodles said...

That is gorgeous! You've gone a step beyond the hexie flowers I'm doing for a quilt, or a runner, or whatever I can make when I decide I'm tired of making 'em!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Love the block... and with a black background it is going to look even more fantastic! Great color choices!

Jorge and Evielynne's RV Road Adventures said...

This makes so much sense to me and I am not a quilter - Jorge took a peek and loves it - he uses the compute graph. Dang I wish he would blog...

~Evielynne
Wish everyone a Happy Holidays

Linda said...

Finally got the internet back so I'll try to catch up with these amazing Hexies. Love, love this one. Your colors are super duper cute!

Michelle May said...

Oh my gosh am I ever loving this!!!

desertskyquilts said...

Love the fabrics used. It really DOES look like a kaleidoscope.