to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Saturday, October 1, 2011

My first Love

Do you remember your first love? Do you remember that excited feeling that you got when you first realized you were in love? I am talking artsy/craftsy here, by the way. I don't EVEN want to discuss my first love in life. Only one of you people reading this knows who he was and she will completely agree...let's not go there.

Now, my first QUILTSY love was foundation paper piecing. I just loved the intricate designs that could be accomplished, the ease of sewing on lines, and the excitement of watching a landscape or a creature come together. This Mabry Mill has really made me want to return to my first love. Some how along the way I got caught up in this or that and lost some creative fire. If you've seen my Creation Station, then you know I have a rainbow of fabric awaiting me. One of my favorite parts of quilting is looking at a pattern and deciding what to use. I want to find that excitement again.

So, I have been thinking after Mabry I will keep up with the paper piecing...working on so much a week. Well, my opportunity came early. I was reading Kat's Blog, and she mentioned a Carol Doak mystery that was just beginning. Carol Doak is a well known paper piecing designer! So, I went to the yahoo group to check it out...and couldn't pass up this little mystery quilt.

Carol gave us a list of fabric--a mixture of warm and cool tones. I pretty much stuck with reds/pinks for warms and blues for cool. One neat thing about Carol Doak designs, is she gives you a cutting list. This is not common for paper piecing. Here are the fabrics all cut...but since it is a mystery, I have no idea where they will be going.

Clue number 1 came out Thursday. This quilt is supposed to be all about twists and turns.Some quilt blocks really change the overall quilt appearance depending on how you 'twist' them. To illustrate this I took some photos for you of the first clue, adding some twists and turns. This is actually four mini blocks of the same pattern...and I twisted them different ways.





Below is the finished clue #1...showing it twisted in the proper direction for this clue.


Clue #2 came out Friday night. 
This time it was the same four smaller blocks, but with the colors a bit different.
Also, we were NOT to join these blocks. 
So I photographed them 'twisted' again. We don't know how they will actually be used yet.


I am anxiously awaiting the next step of the mystery. This little mystery is perfect for me as it makes me feel like I am accomplishing something but I have only spent about two hours on the whole thing so far--and that is counting cutting fabric. These are very easy blocks to sew.
If you want to join in, you can find the group RIGHT HERE.
It is really interesting seeing all the different fabric choices.

12 comments:

Fiona said...

That looks great Tonya... thanks for the link... I have asked to join... don't know much about the Yahoo groups but I know someone I can ask!!!! love the colours you have chosen...
Hugz

Michelle said...

Interesting blocks cant wait to see how they look when you sew them together... would love to join in but time is of the essence...

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Looking good Tonya - saw you had joined the group. I won't get to this until my 'old faithful' machine comes back home. Kat will be a big help if you need it.

rooee said...

I look forward to following you along with this. I too love paper piecing, I wish I had time to do more!

QuiltSue said...

I wish I had time to join in, I love the look of your blocks.

Pat said...

Beautiful pieces - and isn't it lovely to have something that excites you? I feel the same still about my first love, watercolour :) xx

Linda said...

Tonya, this is super cool! All those options for the blocks sounds fun. Wish I could join but I have too many projects going on right now. I will happily watch your progress though! Enjoy!!

Belinda said...

That. Is. So. Cool!!!
I wish I had time for it. Enjoy Tonya!!!

Kat Scribner said...

Tonya, you are a delight! You are getting so much enjoyment from this project!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

That is so cool! I love the colors you chose and I love how they look completely different with each twist! Your piecing looks great!

I think you should stick with your "first love" ! I remember my first love... and recently I have been experimenting with the "up cycling" projects again... It took me back to my first love...

sweetybird09 said...

A mystery quilt,now that is a clever, idea, cannot wait to see it all done :)

Snoodles said...

Tonya, that is really awesome. I am looking forward to seeing more of your mystery blocks!