Thursday, October 20, 2011

Learning Hexagons--Revisited.

Back when I started the whole, Learn Along with Hillbilly thing, I was a bit bummed that all my ideas were being snatched right out of my brain and onto other blogs. If you will recall, I gave you a list of several things that I would like to learn, and then took a poll of what was the most popular.  Well, I am no longer going to bow to the rest of blogland and I am going to do what I want to do and what I had planned all along. You guys that have been around are my witnesses that I had planned these long ago!

 English Paper Piecing Hexagons are one thing that I just put aside for a bit, seeing as how another very well known blog started an "along" right about the time I was talking about Paper Piecing. So, I stepped back and I watched. And I waited. And I am now confused as I did see some posts, but I don't know if I missed a bunch of posts or not.  I don't remember seeing too many posts about that "along" and now they've started a whole other quilt. So, am I off base here? Am I blonde? What happened to the Hexagon 'along'?

Well, no matter.  I am a learner, so I set myself to learning and researching more about hexagon type blocks. And boy do I have some things to share with you!!

It is time to Learn Along With Hillbilly again! Yay!!

 Starting each week, on Thursdays, I will show you a new type of Hexagon block. (Known in other places as 'candied Hexagons' but here they will be called by their actual name.) ((Although I do need a catchy name to call it each week. Help?!)

You will need to be armed an ready with a straight edge, several markers and pencils of different color, printable card stock (more about that at the bottom of this post), scissors, and fabric scraps. Eventually a compass will be needed, but that will be a few months down the road.

You may want to eventually make these really cool hexagons into a quilt, so you may want to use fabric colors that compliment/contrast well. I have many, many, many designs to show you, so I have no idea how much fabric you will need. You may even want to skip some.

We will only learn one new design a week, so it shouldn't be too hard on anyone.

Now, help me. Learn Along with Hillbilly:__________Hexagons. ( I need that blank filled in.)

Ok, for your Hexagons. Some of these blocks will be VERY intricate. I am using Incomputech (which I use for most of my paper pieces). Use the triangle graph paper. My settings are Page 8.5 x 11, Min. border-0; Line Weight -.5; Triangle side-.5. I like card stock for my EPP. The printed  page looks like this:

It is very important that once you decide on a size, you stick to it...especially if you are going to make these all into a quilt!

For my purposes I am going to use Sharpie markers, so that they will be easier for you to see. But when you make yours you need to stick with something more thin lined for accuracy. 
You need to draw your first hexie and use this size for all your others. 
Just draw it however large you can fit it on your page.
I like mine to be 6 triangles around each side. 
(which I noticed that other blog did too.)
The six triangles help you in dividing up your designs a bit better. 


Use your straight edge (which I didn't at the top, can you tell?). 

This week just work on getting your supplies and very large hexagons ready.
I can't wait to show you the first block next week!

It could even be this:

No, actually it won't. It will be much more intricate. 
But I had to show you my pink hearses that have been sitting around forever waiting on me to finish my project with them. Wait until you see the other design that matches this one! I have been just dying to show you. Ha ha ha!

16 comments:

Pat said...

I love that you follow your path. Doesn't matter what anyone else does - you do what's you!

Fill in the blank.. hmm.. from a non quilter, how about Artistic Hexagons :)

Fiona said...

I think even if other blogs are doing something there is nothing wrong with doing it aswell... not everyone explains things the same way and also people don't always want to go to another blog... when I try something new I look at several different versions... that's very longwinded.. but basically "YOU GO GIRL".....
I am not imaginative so I am going Hillbilly Hexies ...
Hugz

Sheila said...

I'll be following along as I have done some hexies but perhaps not the same way as you are about to show us and I love to learn new things ,thanks.

Belinda said...

I'm so glad you have decided to do this. Don't worry about what other's are doing. We aren't all subscribed to other blogs doing these things, so you are providing a service!!
Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.

I'm not good with names either. I'd probably just go with Hillbilly Hexagons. :P

Stray Stitches said...

You go, girl!!! I'll be following along even if I don't create. I look forward to your weekly ------- Hexagons.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Maybe it will encourage me to get that box out - yes, occassionally I will work up a few single hexies, but nothing put together.

Snoodles said...

I love making hexies, and would love to see some other options besides the flowers for my grandmother's garden quilt! Hope you are still enjoying eggnog, and that you are not in pain anymore!

Linda said...

Yeah, what did happen to that other Hex-along? Well, whatever! I love that you are doing your own thing! Yay, I learn better Hillbilly style anyway :) I agree with the others on the name, Hillbilly Hexies! Can't wait to learn along with ya!

jill said...

Tonya, You are an excellent blogger. Your explanations of projects are always very clear to me. Thank you for taking time to lead us thru this journey of Hexies.

Heather said...

I'll be joining you in this learn along (even though I have a bunch of hexies already)! lol I'm thinking Hillbilly Hop-Along Hexigons. Or just Hillbilly Hexies for short. :) Can't wait to see what you made from the herse fabric I sent you!

Kat Scribner said...

How about "Not Your Handicapped Hexagons" ?

Jill@northstarquilting said...

I'm glad you're doing hexagons. It might give me the encouragement to pick mine back up!

I know how busy you always are, trying to sew, look after a family AND homeschool so how about hectic hexagons?

Kat Scribner said...

Hexotic Hexegons

Wanda said...

You know that I will be right there with you. I like everyone's suggestions so far. I thought of Hillbilly Hexis too.

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/

sandra said...

Hillbilly hexalong hexies? I'll be following along whatever you call it.

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

I like that you do your own thing! It doesn't matter if someone else is doing the same thing at the same time, as we don't follow all the blogs... but we do follow you!

I never thought I would try the hexagon block, but I think I will try it! I did the kaleidoscope quilt with all the points in the center also.

Thanks for sharing!