Friday, October 21, 2011

I have found the perfect quilt!

Well, if you are into Medieval things. I am not into that sort of thing. But Seth is. And for years I have been trying to come up with the perfect quilt for him. He loves this one that I made for my brother as he was dying.

(If you love it as well you can go vote for it!
I decided to enter it into a contest this week at Quilters Gallery.
I am not as interested in winning as seeing the response to it, and hopefully getting a bit more exposure.
I love to meet people!
GO VOTE HERE It is about halfway down the page and is called "Kaliph vs The Beast".)

Ok, back to Seth's quilt now that I am done with that shameless plug.
The above quilt is just a wallhanging and hangs in Seth's room at his dad's house. 
(A bit of mom with him that way).
But I did not want to make it again as a bed size.
I did find a quilt called "Crossways" with different style crosses on it and it gave the history behind them.
But that website is now gone.
Seth's birthday is next month, and I had given up on giving him a quilt again this year.

The other day I finally stumbled on a pattern that he will love!
It's a BOM, and they don't even give the finished size, but I am sure I can adapt.
It lasts 14 months, so the last part does not come out until November a year from now.
That wasn't so good, but I sat Seth down, explained the problem, and told him NO PEEKING for an entire year in his quilt box. If he does, there will be no surprise.
I told him eventually he will have a very nice quilt...and it will be worth the wait.
He agreed. Since he never reads this blog, I will allow you to peek. 

Can you guess what block 1 is?

A hint: I am a very picky mom. I don't allow Harry Potter at our house.
So if this looks like something from that. Nope!
In fact, it is not a sorcerer at all. 
Ok, no more hints!

14 comments:

Linda said...

Wow, that dragon is amazing! Now I am not good a guessing but I am definitely intrigued! Oh and that green fabric is beautiful!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

So glad you took the plunge and entered into the Gallery theme contest. Good for you!! I would say that is Merlin - and I don't like Harry Potter either.

Snoodles said...

I voted! Love your quilt. I think that is Gandalf? We don't do Harry Potter, either!

Sarah Craig said...

I would say that is probably Gandalf the Grey....

Jill@northstarquilting said...

That's fab! Since he likes medieval things, is it Merlin? Does that mean we get to ogle a gorgeous block every month?

Belinda said...

I'm amazed at your work! Ohhh, how I would love to be that talented. Maybe some day I can work my way up to half way there. :)
Love medieval things! The Gandalf one looks intriguing.

Fiona said...

Awesome quilt block.. now I undertstand your love for paper piecing.... hello Gandolf???
Hugz

Patty@Granma's said...

Well! I'm obviously the oldster in your circle, as I thought at first look - 'Father Time'. You are a good Mama, and it will be worth the wait!!

Quiltalicious said...

Hi Tonya - glad you are enjoying the new BOM, just like I am. Isn't it fun? I love your pp quilt... I have one in there too, but I wish you good luck in the voting!

QuiltSue said...

I've voted. Your quilt is amazing.

I think this is either Gandolf or Merlin. Merlin was my first thought.

sandra said...

Looks like Gandalf to me. I voted, you are doing well there.

Quilting By Jeannie said...

You do wonderful work, just joined your blog!!!!!!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Great Dragon Quilt! I voted for you too!

Michelle May said...

Oh wow girlfriend! It's fantastic! Next year is the year of the dragon!
xx