Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Hexagon Star

Artistic, Hexotic, Hop-A-Long, Hex-a-long, Hillbilly, Hectic Hexies 

Are you ready? Did you even attempt to guess what the design would be from yesterday's bits and pieces?

Grab your Triangle Cardstock Paper. Draw out your first Hexagon. (Remember, I am only using markers for photo/teaching purposes. You need to use a pencil for thin lined accuracy!

Next, turn your Hexagon so that a point is up. Measure one side and divide by 3. If you made your Hexie six triangles wide (which I recommend), it is divided already.

Now, draw two lines. Each needs to be 1/3 of the way away from the point. See below:

Note, point is up and there is a line two triangles from the to the right and two to the left.
Now, rotate to the next point and draw two more lines the same way.
I switched colors to help you see it better. This time I did the green lines.

Now, rotate one more time and do the same. This time I did the orange lines.

Do you see the design now? You can grab your pencils and start coloring. As with most quilt blocks, there are several options that will make it look different. Here is the option I am going with:

It is helpful to mark your design with which color is which before you cut.
Of course, you might have colored yours in. I had to redraw mine with pencil, so then I marked my colors.

Not so bad on this easy design, but there will be more intricate ones along the way.

Now, cut them with your rotary that you keep reserved for paper, and start sewing!
After you baste all your pieces, start with the middle and work out when you do your whip stitching.

I did all the little triangles attached to the middle hexagon first.
Then I started working on the outer hexagons. You need to start closest to the middle and work your way out. So I do up one side, then up the other. (Hope that makes sense.)

Do all the outer Hexagons in this manner.
  
It looks cute, doesn't it?
Next do your outer triangles. Be very careful to have all your outer edges even.
Then you are done! 

You can remove your basting stitches and your paper from the middle hexagon and the middle triangles ONLY. Your outer ones must stay until they are attached to another hexagon or appliqued down.
The photo above shows which I removed my basting/papers from and which that I didn't. 

Today's block is called the Pointing Star and was published in the Kansas City star in 1936.

Please if you make one, consider sharing it on our 





16 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my goodness! That is a beautiful Hexie. Once my headache goes away I will attempt to make this cutie!

Kat Scribner said...

I will be following along, Tonya. I will enjoy watching what you have conjured up again. lol I will not be able to partake in stitching this new venture, since I am knee deep in 4200 hexagons of my own, for the "Queen".

Belinda said...

That's really purty! I'm going to enjoy watching your progress. :)

Heather said...

I'll be joining! Got my design & fabric all ready to go. :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great instructions - but boy, don't think this one is for me. I can't even get to the joining of the plain ole' Hexies at this point.

Stray Stitches said...

Beautiful! And a wonderful tutorial, too!

krisgray said...

How cute! Great tute, too! Now I understand how they go together.

rubyslipperz said...

WOW!! COOL!!...great instuctions/pictures...these look fun!

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot

Mary L. said...

This was one of my Grandmother's favorite patterns that she used often, though she used regular piecing on not EP to make it. I'm lucky to have inherited strings and strings of hexies and the other shapes cut out by her and I've been working on these blocks off and on this last year.

Christine M said...

Love your hexagon block Tonya. It looks great.

JuneBug, Milta and SnowPea said...

Very pretty - and the colors are my favorite!!

Evielynne

Wanda said...

Okay, pattern is made and cut out, pieces are pinned to fabric and fabric cut, and first piece is basted. Will work on this during quilt guild. This should be interesting.

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/

Jill@northstarquilting said...

This is gorgeous! I'm going to give it a go. I have a great floral I could fussy cut for the hexies.

sandra said...

Ready to start very shortly. I was trying to decide if I would use the same fabric for all but have decided to go with whatever I fancy on the day and they will all be very different - and goodness knows what I will do with them when finished!!

Michelle May said...

Oooooooooooo! Pretty!

Jen said...

I was flipping through, looking for Ahhhh color inspiration. You have this one listed as 3club001. I'm not sure which one yet it is, but the two pointing stars are not the same...but HOLY COW, I know what colors I want to do when it IS available!!!