to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Seth's second block

My son, Seth, is very slowly working on the Civil War quilt by Barbara Brackman. We finally got block 2 finished. I think he is doing good for a 13 year old boy.

For those of you that are new followers, Seth picked out all his own fabric from Civil War reproduction prints. He wanted mainly red, blue, gray and black--and as least 'flowerdy' as possible. We haven't found all his fabric yet but we are slow going enough that probably won't be a problem getting a little at a time!
Below is the first block that he made:

The next block (number 3) is called Seven sisters and it is just a plain square with 7 appliqued stars.
We are stumped on what to do because Seth did not like the look of machine applique for his Civil War quilt,
and I don't think he can handle any type of hand applique. Then I had a thought--maybe make the stars with wool? Then he wouldn't have to worry about the raw edges. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Do you ever have problems with your followers area showing up and then disappearing--back and forth?
I do. Another friend did too so she went to piddle with it and accidentally deleted all her followers!
If you could show her some love and go follow her blog, I am sure that she would appreciate it.

-----------------------------------------------------
Mabry Mill 
Block DA
10 pieces

Block DB
8 pieces
 Sorry--it's blurry. I'll fix that tomorrow!

14 comments:

Jeanette said...

Wow. Seth is doing better than me. All i've done is download the patterns & buy heaps of fabric to make it. The blocks he's done a fabulous. Happy Stitching,

Vroomans' Quilts said...

He's doing a terrific job. I like the idea of the wool applique - very time period, too. I will have to collect some Windham fabrics and send him a little box. I find that just refreshing brings back the followers - no way I am playing with it. Besides, it's like a magic show - now you see it, now you don't!

Pat said...

Love Seth's blocks so far. Cool colour choices.

I've noticed follower changes, but I leave well alone - just chicken, I guess :lol: I've gone to Mariliz blog and followed her.

take care xx

rosie said...

Tonya, I am so impressed that you have your son doing patchwork... that is simply awesome.. Well done Seth..

The Tulip Patch said...

Seth, you did an amazing job. I literally have taught grown ups whose could not do their first 9 patch as well as you have done this complicated block. It looks like your mom could have done it...NICE JOB! What about blanket stitching by hand??? It's easier than needle turn. I kind of agree with Seth if he's wanting the quilt to be more "historically accurate" (*which is such a guy thing by the way!)

Stray Stitches said...

Seth is doing an amazing job! And I like his choice of fabrics. Using the wool on the next block sounds like the perfect solution.
Great Mabry blocks :)

Heather said...

Great job on the quilt blocks Seth! I really like the fabric choice too & think the wool sounds like a good idea.

I've not noticed anything about the followers. I don't know what's going on there! But I'll go follow the other blog. :)

Melissa said...

I think it is great that Seth is learning to quilt! Would he like the raw edge machine applique? You could fuse and then stitch. Over time the edges would fray a little and the stitches would be less noticeable.

Mariliz said...

Seth is doing such a great job! The fabrics are great choices.

Thanks for your help with my issues : )!

Belinda said...

That Seth is one mean quilt maker!! I'm jealous of his talent. :P

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Seth is doing great!
I hopped over and clicked to follow Mariliz as I was before too! Thanks for telling us!
Enjoy your day!

Snoodles said...

Seth --- I am impressed! That noise you just heard was the sound of three cheers for Seth, all the way over in South Carolina! Awesome job, dude! You are getting some good suggestions from the other comments, so I can't wait to see your block three!

marina said...

Well done Seth! I am still quite intimidated by Civil war blocks. Lot's of little pieces and such. His blocks are wonderful. He may have come up with a new word too- Flowerdy.

Michelle May (Shell) said...

What a wonderful job he's doing! Fantastic!
xx, shell