to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Where have I been anyway??

Oh, pretty much right here. Well, not really right here but in my Creation Station.

On Sunday my wonderful husband noticed that I was on the verge of being insane. Well, actually his words were, "You are not going insane...you are insane." He had recognized that I was in very bad need of a break. 

Why do mom's not get things like payed time off, vacation, holidays, sick days, or hazard pay? We should!

So anyway, Jerry took Stephen AWAY and left me home alone for FOUR hours!!! Then he came home, washed the piled up dishes, cooked dinner,  and washed the dishes again. 

During my four hours I did some laundry. AND I did my Mabry Mill blocks for this week. AND I pieced this together and started hand quilting it:


I do not have proper quilting needles. All I have are embroidery needles that are too large so I am finding that I can only load 2 stitches at a time...but it has been an enjoyable learning experience for me. 

Ok, so where were we? That was Sunday. On Monday our one and only car broke down and my poor husband had to walk from work to Walmart to buy tools back to work on the car to no avail; so then he had to walk home. He had to wait until today (Tues) when my DD could come up and let him use her truck.
It wasn't too major...just the battery so we are very thankful for that. 

Also on Monday I got a notice saying I had only been approved for 50% off of my MRI bill. For those that don't know--as a stay at home mom I don't have insurance. We would have been approved for 100% to be paid had it not been for the Joplin tornado. They took into account only the last three months of hubby's income and the month of June he had to work a lot of hours after the tornado. The worst part of all was the amount of the bill. $666. They don't even give houses or license plates the number 666! I think I'll pay $665.99.

Today DD came over to help us deal with the truck....but I have been interrupted about a billion times while trying to write this so I'll continue my little story later :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week for my Mabry Mill blocks I am using all my own hand dyed fabrics. I love my hand dyes!! 

BLOCK BA
7 pieces

Block BB
10 pieces

17 comments:

Fiona said...

So nice to get a few hours on your own.. good for Jerry.... love the quilt.... the hand quilting gives it a lovely finish.... not good on the MRI charge.... thats a big bill....
Hugz

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I know those MRI bills are high - I've had quite a few of them in the past.

Glad you got some personal time - even with laundry, you can grab time while the machine does it's thing.

Christine M said...

What a wonderful husband to give you some me time. Your quilt looks lovely. I've just bought that book. Will start it soon (I hope)!

Pat said...

Glad you got some you time - well done, Jerry!

and glad you got something off your MRI bill *hugs*

Sharon said...

Hi Tonya! I'm back to bloggy world again.
Your husband is sweet to recognize that you needed some quiet time. Your Christmas quilt is lovely!

Heather said...

Hang in there! It was nice of Jerry to do all those things... & I wish we got paid vacation time too! That would be so nice. :)

Linda said...

Your hubby is a doll for noticing you NEEDED the time for yourself.
That christmas quilt is adorable, is it a pattern you found online? Oh and the Mabry MIll blocks look amazing. I hope to get some free time today to sew up my blocks :)

Belinda said...

No good deed goes unpunished....yuck yuck! Sorry, just had to say that. BUT, Jerry was a sweetheart to notice you needed time, and taking the munchkin away for a while. Sorry about your vehicle woes.
LOVING your hand dyed fabrics. Tutorial??

Stray Stitches said...

So glad to hear that your truck problem was rather minor. How nice of your husband to give you the time to de-stress and give you some time just to yourself.
Your hand dyed fabric is beautiful and the new Mabry blocks are so intriguing. You are such a tease :)

krisgray said...

What a week - or a few days! It's so nice to have a considerate hubby that knows time alone is such a treasure. Love your embroidery and the hand dyes, esp the yellow/orange in the first pic with so much color variation.

Patty@Granma's said...

My hubby does dishes too! He says if I cook, the least he can do is help clean up. Of course it helps that I work a 9 hour day in the shop, and take care of Mom besides. He also does his own laundry, handles all the yardwork for both houses and does every kind of repair known to man!! Maybe I should bake him a pie!

KatieQ said...

This holiday quilt is beautiful. I'm sure it will become a treasured heirloom.

Jill@northstarquilting said...

I hope you enjoyed your creation time. You're so lucky to have such a considerate husband. Did you enjoy the hand quilting? I found it really therapeutic when I did it.

Sherry said...

It was great that your hubby gave you some time alone to be creative. I love the quilt you are hand quilting. Have a wonderful weekk!

rooee said...

Tonya I have to tell you that I spent a good hour here in your blog yesterday! Did you hear me shuffling about? I am going to make your paper pieced heart for a friendship quilt I am doing with a bunch of others. Thanks! I had so much fun reading about different flosses, paper piecing etc etc and then I had to run out the door to meet a friend so I didn't get to comment. Here I am now! Glad you had some me time last weekend too!

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Hi sweets! What do you mean you don't have proper hand quilting needles? Well, what you do have is a friend named, Shell, that has lots to share! Send me your mailing addy and I'll send you a little pressie! :)
Glad you got some you time. Your special and deserve it.
xx, shell

Snoodles said...

I'm so glad you got some time for YOU! I didn't have a clue that you made hand-dyed fabrics. That is awesome! I agree with another comment, you will have to do a tutorial!