to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, August 5, 2011

Candied Hexies and a finished row

(I apologize that I am like 3 days behind in my blog reading. You will read in a moment what I have been doing in my (Ha ha) spare time. But Stephen and I also have icky old colds that we caught from Seth, so my late night blog reading got replaced with Nyquil for now. I will catch up eventually!)

This week has been super busy for me as we decided to move the house around a bit to make things a bit easier for me. In the past, my days were spent moving the computer from table to husband's desk (where the printer is) to my Creation station, to another printer and back and forth and all around. So hubby kindly agreed to give up his desk and let me centralize my computer area. I now have both printers, all the school books, my bills/office stuff all in one place! I feel so much more organized!

Of course with all this great organization comes lack of sewing time. I am getting ready to pick up my EPP again now though. I have some tiny dresdens I am going to try to make for a friends quilts. (Yes that is plural. Her two quilts have been in the works for months.) 

But my fun EPP stuff is my 288 diamonds that have been patiently waiting for me to give them attention again.

Of course, then I found the Hex A Long. I at first was NOT interested. But then I found out that these are not your average Hexagon. Called the Candied Hexagons, they are all cut up and pieced. Here is one photo of them:

You can find out more by following the Hex a long RIGHT HERE.

This now has me interested in designing Hexie quilts. 
 To help me out, the wonderful LINDA sent me some precut Hexies in all sizes.
She also sent a block for our heart charity quilt. Dont you love the yellow? I do!
 And the best of all? 
She sent a sweet scissor fob and enclosed a note that she had worked on it while on vacation, and that the whole time she had been praying for me. I have so many blog land sisters that I need to meet and give a hug to someday!

Linda is joining me on working on the Mabry Mill quilt.
I am going to enjoy seeing our quilts come along together.
Here is block AE

Now we can join the row.
 Leave the papers on the back until the entire quilt is finished.
Make sure you pin the blocks before sewing. They get thick around the mountains, and the paper is slick and likes to tug and slide around, so pinning is important. 
You are going to match up the letters on the edges. For example lowercase 'ac' to 'ac' is your first two blocks. Do the whole row, and since they are thick, press open.

ROW ONE, Blocks AA, AB, AC, AD, AE

Total pieces so far: 45



12 comments:

Pat said...

I'm glad you got more organised space wise. I know what a boon that is.
And what a lovely fob and story behind it. So kind. xx

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the different hex-a-long, but I will leave that to others. I have been following her site to see what evolves. The paper piecing is looking good - I see Linda has been catching up. How sweet of her to send such goodies - and when you need a hug. Hope you both feel better soon.

Stray Stitches said...

Hope you and Stephen are on the road to recovery from your icky colds.
Your Mabry Mill work is amazing! I'm so enjoying watching your progress :)
Looks like you've started into a fun new project with the hexalong.

Marcia Wachuta said...

Organizing is good! I missed the spring cleaning during May (you did too). Taking time to organize...it's a good way to get re-started! YES!
Love the Hexagon Quilt...Following Lily now too! Thanks for the mention. She has a delightful blog.
Cool another Heart! And love the beginning of your paper pieced wall hanging! Great Shares today! Thanks!

Belinda said...

I like this post! Lots of cool things happening in your world. And how wonderful to find such good bloggy friends! The internet can do some good, if our hearts are in the right place to begin with. :)

Linda said...

Ahh to have an organized space is so relaxing. Good for you!! That Hex Along is so cool to look through, isn't it. Amazing stuff in my opinion. lol And thanks for blogging about my treat for you. It's always fun making things for others. Enjoy!! Lastly, I hope you feel better soon. Have Seth make you another cup of his famous tea :)

Lynda said...

Love the candied hexies quilt. It is so bright and cheerful. I love it when my sewing room is all organized...which is seldom...but it doesn't take long to get all unorganized again.

Snoodles said...

Wow! That Candied Hexagon quilt is amazing...it is so interesting to look at; it is almost like an Ispy quilt! I'm off to check out her blog.
I do hope that you and Steven will be feeling much better soon!
Love from Jacque in SC!

Jindi's Cottage said...

Organisation is the key isn't it...so important to have everything in one place and not all over the house...saves so much time and angst looking for stuff. Those candied hexies looks like fantastic fun...enjoy making them. I think I missed something with the heart blocks...what the?...do you need more?...I thought I was all caught up on your posts now but maybe I missed something last time I lost control of Reader...

Lyn said...

Hello Tonya, love the candied hexies...gorgeous...they can be addictive....Warm Regards, Lyn

Madame Samm said...

Ohhhhh this hex a long ...candy quilt you call it...it is really beautiful..sew you will making these..pretty awesome my dear... look forward to what you will bring to the table..( sewing table that is)

Christine M said...

I hope you and Stephen are feeling better soon!