to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Being Committed

NO MORE COMMITMENTS.

There, you heard it from me in big bold letters. Please--keep me accountable to that!

Because, if you don't...I will probably find myself COMMITTED to a mental institution. 

I posted my H2H quilt on fb yesterday, and someone commented that I must feel so rewarded to have it finished. I thought about that statement, and I realized that no...I didn't feel rewarded at all...just relief. 
I am tired of flitting from project to project not taking the time to enjoy making them. Always just trying to get it done in a hurry because I promised it and it has taken me weeks to do. Which is about how it is on every project. Even the little ones. Because I am so backed up. Thank you for being very patient with me in this area!

On top of that it is school time soon. I spent my day yesterday downloading new curriculum and scheduling for Seth. I have much still to go in this area. 

So, today, I am making a change and you are going to help me. 
I am going to get the 3 charity quilts done that are promised, 
the 8 dog quilts done that are promised,
the D. Housewives quilt block done, 
Seth's quilt done, Jerry's quilt done, Stephen's play blanket done, Amy's home decor done,
my curtains done, and THEN I am going to sit back and enjoy quilting. 

I will not be taking orders until after the New Year, I will NOT commit to any blocks, swaps, quilts, etc.
I WILL find my joy in quilting again. I WILL learn all the new things that I am wanting to learn. And I WILL take the time to learn them proper. 

I WILL take the time to talk to my blog friends more (outside of blogs) {I MISS YOU PAT},
read to my boys more, close the computer down more, clean the house more. 
And I will enjoy it. :)

Speaking of enjoying--
I am liking doing this one block a day on the Mabry Mill quilt. It is a challenge to me to only do one block. I almost said forget it and did a whole row tonight...then I remembered I have about a billion blogs to read, this one to write, and it is almost 1 a.m. So, I practiced patience and only did one block. 


BLOCK TWO--6 pieces.
TOTAL so far--18pcs.

17 comments:

Pat said...

My word, chickie - you have a lot to finish up before you can relax and enjoy quilting again!
I pray they won't take you until the New Year!

I've missed you too - but at the mo we have the heavy kitchen works going on so I am getting a comment in before the builder arrives!

Soon life will be back to reasonable for both of us.. and I look forward to that day, when we can talk again. Love and hugs, Pat xx

Fiona said...

It's a very good idea to look at one's priorities every now and then..... it's so easy to go off target and do things just because rather than for the love of it....
Hugz

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Exactly why I skipped so many wonderfully offered BOM's - last year I did 34 - yes, 34. And they ended up being 34 UFOs. I do like to do charity, but selective. I did a few select BOM;s on-line and I have enjoyed some short term quilt along project. But I do what I like and how I like it. It may be fast or it may be slow, and seldom following someone elses path.

Linda said...

Oh I am right there with ya! So many projects I want to do, So many that I have started, So many I want to finish but I have such little time I can't finish anything. Sigh..I too promised myself to not start anymore projects until I get some of these finished. I did enjoy making/finishing the first block of the Mabry Mill last night, though :)

The Tulip Patch said...

I just found this Christian author (female) blog called TO LOVE HONOR AND VACUUM. It's about prioritizing time and managing your resources as a mom. I am using her chore charts this week. You might like it.

KatieQ said...

My word for 2011 was supposed to be "calm" and for the most part I allowed myself to keep life manageable. Unfortunately, the last few months, I have started committing myself to too many projects. Most of them are worthy and could be enjoyable if I didn't push to do too much. Last week, like you, I volunteered for the 100 Quilts for Kids and also signed up for a wall hanging swap. After reading your post this morning, I realized it is not the projects I take on that cause stress in my life. The time allotment to complete them is not onerous. It is not allowing for the million little things that can happen in life that sap away your time and energy. I'm taking a closer look at my priorities and trying to remember that my word for 2011 is Calm.

Lynda said...

A few years ago several women in our Bee decided we were tired of always doing "projects" all together in the Bee and seldom working on our own projects that were unfinished sitting at home. So we formed our new Bee. We call ourselves the Lazy Bee because we have no required projects, no president, no dues, no deadlines etc. However, we are far from LAZY! We all work happily on our own UFOs, sitting in a circle, laughing and sharing. Boy do we finish a lot!!

B-Z-Quilting said...

I am right there with you sister. I have 3 years of blocks from 3 years of block swaps, so I did not do it this current year and will not be doing it next year. I am going to finish those 3 quilts before I do it again. I am so busy with my job, children, housework, cooking, and gardening and even 1 more deadline is something I do not need. Quilting is my release, my therapy, my FUN! It is one area of my life where I am supposed to relax and not rush, to let my creativity and ideas come to life. I am determined to keep it that way. It's okay to de-commit sometimes!

Stray Stitches said...

Wow do you ever have a lot on your plate. I'm sure you will feel less pressure once you get all of those quilts made and finally find some time just for yourself. Sometimes we just need to do for ourselves for a change.

Mariliz said...

Sounds like a great plan. Maybe you can block out an hour or 2 each day to work on those projects, and before you know it, they will be done!

I finally dropped my machine off yesterday, I hope to get it back in about a week (they said) so I can get back to some sewing time myself.

Patty@Granma's said...

Why is it that as women we feel the need to take on so-o-o-o many projects, until we are on overload and over kill? Do we really think nobody else is doing anything? (Might be true, but is it OUR problem?)
I don't even make lists anymore, 'cause it takes so long, and leaves me feeling forever behind....
Good luck with slowing down, and be sure to smell the roses (And you don't have to grow them for pete sake, just wander into somebody else's garden) :-D

Belinda said...

Are you sure you aren't Ms. B Lines?? Go for it and good luck!!! Sometimes, we just have to stop!

Sara G said...

Why do anything if there is no love or enjoyment but especially no passion and love? That's what I think about projects. Yes sometimes we have to do things we don't like. But I find get them out of the way then all I'm left with is my passion.

rooee said...

I hear ya! Let me know how it works out! hehhee

Heather said...

I guess you really see why I've pulled back so much too. I really needed it & it's really helped take off some stress. I like not having a deadline for projects!

Snoodles said...

Amen, Sistah! Here in South Carolina I am nodding my head in complete agreement! LOL
You rock, Tonya! You are so right...take time for your priorities, and other things (even those of us in blogland that love you dearly) can wait. Be sure to take some time for you, my friend. You are on the right track, and there are many of us that need to follow your example....
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Sherry said...

I am doing some blocks of the month and have tried to keep it reasonable so that there is not a lot of pressure. I am hoping to keep it fun. It is amazing to me what you accomplish but at the expense of enjoying what you do and having time for friends and family it is definitely not worth it. Great idea you have to not take more on and to slow down and enjoy what you are doing. Thanks for the inspiration to take a look at my priorities.