to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Another thing to learn

I'm wishing, I'm dreaming (isn't that from Cinderella? I think it is.) Anyway, since I am working so hard on getting stuff caught up and not committing to things, I have been getting excited at the thought of doing some things that I want to do. Of course that list is very very lengthy. Although I have been quilting for years, most all of my quilting experience has been simple blocks, Foundation paper piecing, and memory quilts.

I really really want to branch out and learn so many things! One thing on my list is applique. I have done alot of raw edge machine applique but I want to learn the pretty stuff. I found this book at my library recently:

It teaches freezer paper applique, starch applique, needle turn, turned edge machine applique, etc.
I have added it to my Amazon wishlist. High priority!
Now, one thing that I want to be sure to do is take things only a bit at a time.
 Even though I plan to learn applique in the future right now my learning is in the EPP field. 
More on how I am doing with that tomorrow....

-------------------------------------------------------

Mabry Mill block AD

 You need to be VERY careful when doing piece 2. It goes at an odd angle. Just use a larger piece of fabric and you will be fine. 

7 comments:

Fiona said...

haha.. there are so many things I want to try and learn.... your EPP is looking good

Hugz

Linda said...

I really like Applique work. I find hand sewing to be relaxing. I don't do much of it though. I've done maybe a couple of simple projects with it. Maybe once this Landscape project is done (looks great btw) we will tackle Applique together :). lol

Stray Stitches said...

This last year I began hand applique and absolutely love it. Like Linda above, I find it very relaxing. I have begun to explore the different kinds of machine applique but haven't tried the turned edge machine applique that you mention. Looks like a great book.
Your Mabry Mill block looks great!

Angie said...

WOW you are one busy, learning lady!!
It's inspiring !

Heather said...

I love applique! I haven't done it in a long time. As soon as I get a few of my other projects crossed off my list I will have to make an applique project.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The paper piecing is coming nicely. I like to do different Applique methods - sometimes mix them to get the look I want - which makes the quilt police get grey hair.

Marcia Wachuta said...

I have tried the freezer paper applique'. It works great but I am not fond of hand sewing --- so it is not my thing. I like your plan of not committing to too much! It makes sense for all of us!