to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Our Simple Days

Stephen and I really don't get out of the house a lot.
It used to drive me crazy to be cooped up all of the time, but now we are used to it.

Now that my knee is better, a couple of days a week we do drive my husband to work so that I can have the car. Our local hospital has a nice little trail to walk. We tried to walk it several times last winter but it is up on a hill, no trees, and this is a very windy town. It just didn't work for Stephen at all.

Now it is summer though; mornings are pleasant. 
Last time we walked I let Stephen go very slowly, filling his pockets with treasures (rocks) along the way.
Today we chose another treasure--we'll share it in a moment.

First let me show you our very drab ugly eating area. 
My husband and I move about every 2 years right now, and just live in rental houses.
The current house is wonderfully large (for us), but so ugly!
We grow weary of hanging and taking down decor so we don't have much on our walls in the living room/dining room area.
(We do have one Photo quilt and one Painting in the living room.)

Here is our very drab dining area:

Today while Stephen and I were walking, we chose some treasures to help brighten our simple days a bit.

Doesn't this look better?

Someday those ugly chairs are getting some fabric covering them!

We didn't have a vase, so we used something else from our simple life.

Recognize it?

Does this help?

I do so much enjoy being a Hillbilly.
I may not have China, or fancy little teapots--nor would I want them. 
They are not me.
Morning walks, weeds and wildflowers, pockets of 'treasures',
and water bottle vases.
These things make me happy.

18 comments:

Fiona@BubzRugz said...

I think most days it is the simple things that give me the most pleasure too....
Hugz

Michelle May (Shell) said...

A waterbottle vase is just as lovely as a Waterford vase. It's all about what's inside the vase. Lot's of people are too busy looking on the outside when the beauty is on the inside. :)

xx, shell

Linda said...

Oh little boys and treasures in their pockets! My son use to do that all the time! I use to fear washing his pants because you never knew what was lurking in the pockets, hahaha. Simple things are a treasure! Those flowers are beautiful and your table is now so bright and cheery!

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

simply beautiful! I love it. :)

Dorian said...

You would fit right in, here at my house Tonya :) I have quite a few bottles and jars that hold my wild flowers all Summer long.

Your walks sound lovely.

Stray Stitches said...

"Morning walks, weeds and wildflowers, pockets of 'treasures',and water bottle vases." Not to mention the endless memories you have and have created along the way :) Your life is rich in so many ways.

Pat said...

I love the way you've furnished your life with love. It simply shines through xx

Mariliz said...

I love wildflowers! I love the vase, so resourceful. I hope you smile every time you look at them!

teresamnj said...

Very sweet post, Tonya, & I love the vase!

Angie said...

What a beautiful treasure!!

Pokey said...

*smiles* pokey

Patty@Granma's said...

And I put pebbles in mine to keep them from tipping over!

Belinda said...

What a wonderful post! My son treasured rocks too. He called them his "rock collection" and we still have them in the attic. A whole craft box full of them! I'll never throw them away, no matter how old he gets.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Simply put - simply said. A post that shows a lot of love.

sweetybird09 said...

The simple things can be the best, I love it!

The table does look cute after you put the flowers and that cloth on it, simple but so nice!

Jill@northstarquilting said...

We have jam jars of flowers in the house. Or we did before my sister started making jam. Now they've all been requisitioned!

Jindi's Cottage said...

What a lovely table now...such pretty fabric in the tablecloth...and the perfect vase for the wildflowers...it looks so inviting...stick the kettle on I'm coming over!...oh darn, my aeroplane is out of petrol *LOL*...

Gmama Jane said...

I love your sweet little flower arrangement and your "crystal' vase is divine. Simple is always better.
Blessings
Gmama Jane