to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Learn Along With Hillbilly: English Paper Piecing--Basting

I think those of you that are familiar with English paper piecing know the 'normal' way of basting your pieces.
Here is an illustration showing you the most common method:


Today lets start with printing our own templates. I have already given you the resources for that. But what should you print it on? Plain paper? Here are some ideas:

1) FREEZER PAPER. You can print your templates right on the freezer paper. The freezer paper will iron right onto the fabric that you are basting. Some really like this method. I don't. It just isn't thick enough for me when it gets to the 'sewing them together' stage. Of course, you can layer the freezer paper to solve this problem. 

2) Card stock. This is my preferred method. Regular card stock is just a bit to heavy though. I like the 110 lb weight paper. It is just about the same thickness as the well known pre cut brand. And...even better, it is available in bulk at that store that begins with a "W" and ends with an "almart". 

3) Plastic. Some like to use all plastic pieces. This is not for me. It pops out too easily and it doesn't work for my preferred method of basting. 

9 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

I like the heavier paper/light card............I love my glue pen too.........so much quicker then the thread basting..........

Linda said...

I have some plastic hexies. I just thought they might be easier for a beginner :) Can't wait til tomorrow :)

sweetybird09 said...

This is interesting, I have never heard of this before...

Stray Stitches said...

I'm with you. I like the precut light card stock templates best.

Heather said...

I'm using regular paper but will be switching to the cardstock once I get thru the current bunch I'm working on.

Pokey said...

I made my own using freezer paper, I'm cheap, Tonya.

krisgray said...

I've only used the pre cuts on heavier paper and can't imagine using anything thinner.

D said...

My preferred method is just plain old printer paper. Color: doesn't matter-its coming out eventually anyway. Weight: about 20 lb-this is standard printer weight. Another great reason for this is that its GREEN! I am notorious for snatching up scrap paper and using it to cut my paper piecing patterns from.

Mary L. said...

I save the magazine subscription postcards that come in all magazines. Perfect weight, green and free!