Friday, July 22, 2011

I'm crafting by the Campfire...and eating...and singing...


It's TIME!!!!!

I am so excited!! The time has come for our Crafters Campfire!
Be sure to visit Sharon's Blog for Campfire fun as well!
What will you be making today ?
What yummies will you be eating?

------------------------------------------------------------

Banana Boats

These yummy little snacks are fun for a group around a campfire but they work great in the oven or the grill, so are perfect for our Crafters Campfire!

Gather the following:

Bananas--still in the peel
Miniature Marshmallows
Chocolate chips
Butterscotch chips
Peanut butter chips
M and M's
coconut flakes
Maraschino cherries--chopped
Raisins
Aluminum foil
spoons

Have each person split one side of their banana peel, going down the length of it with a knife.
You will want to cut partially into the banana, and cut to within 1/2" of the top and 1/2" of the bottom of the peel.
Do NOT split all the way through the banana to the other side.
Stuff chosen goodies into the banana.
Wrap completely in foil and then place in heat source for around 10 min until Marshmallows are melted.
Enjoy your ooey gooey mess!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Indoor Campfire

Want to create some campfire fun for your kiddos but don't want to go outside?
I'll show you how!

Gather the following:

Strobe light --or any SHORT light source--even a flash light! Strobe lights work the best though.
Tissue paper in Red, yellow and orange
Twigs
Newspaper or blanket to put under your twig campfire to keep the carpet clean.

Place your strobe light so it faces up towards the ceiling. 
Pile twigs to cover light, and then using tissue paper stuff it down between the twigs.
You will not want ANY of the white light from the strobe light coming through, 
so make sure it is completely covered.
I didn't have much tissue..so I just stuck a couple of small pieces down below the twigs:

Turn your strobe light down so that the flicker speed is on low.
Turn out the lights, and enjoy your campfire!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Campfire Song

No American campfire is complete without the traditional song, Kum Bah Yah.
I don't know why it has become such a popular campfire song...but it is!
'Kum Bah Yah' is Gullah for "Come by Here"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My chosen fabric for the day:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE


Wanna know what I made with my S'more fabric? NOTHING.
I had a tiny pin cushion planned but I couldn't bring myself to cut it for something that small.
I think I am planning to make a needle book with it. Someday. I have some other things that need made first.


I did get more stitching done and plan to do more this evening. I only have two more designs left to stitch for my raggedy quilt, so that is my campfire plans for this evening! I cannot wait to show you my finished quilt as I am going to make it a bit different than every one elses. I haven't even started piecing it together, but I've got all the fabric, and the backing. So this was my very 'me' campfire fun today!


Other things done today: 


Went swimming with the husband and little guy. It has been over 100 degrees every day for over a week now. So a 30 mile drive to the lake once a week is our way of beating the heat.


Took a nap. A four hour one. Good grief! Little guy and I were worn out!


We have eaten 2 s'mores. 
Did you know marshmallows are fat free? We'll ignore that candy bars and graham crackers have fat.
Tomorrow it is back to all about healthy eating and me losing weight!


It has been a nice day. Thank you Sharon for the fun idea!



Mr Linky is all set up below for you to Link up your Campfire Day.
Recipes, crafts, family camping photos...whatever...link it up!
You can link up on Sharon's blog as well.

You can link right here:


13 comments:

teresamnj said...

Those banana boats look super yummy! I wonder how many Weight Watchers points they are. :)

Tonya said...

None for Crafters Campfire once a year!

Sara G said...

I haven't had a banana boat since I was a little girl. Yummy! Have a great weekend!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

We always did banana boats with the cub scout sleep-over night - they just loved it! Now where did you get that fabric? COOL!!

Monica said...

Oh my gosh...I'm going to have to make banana boats the next time we go camping!

Fiona@BubzRugz said...

Oh my goodness - I think I would love to camp with you... those banana boats look great... our bananas are about $15 a kg at th emoment - still a huge pricerise after the cyclone... see ya later...
Hugz

sweetybird09 said...

That looks like fun! and Yummy too!

Have fun!

Jindi's Cottage said...

Enjoy your campfire...at $12.99 a kilo (2.54 pounds) bananas aren't on the menu at the moment :( ...wonder what your fabric will become...will have to check back tomorrow (our time) and see what it has become...have fun!

Lynda said...

I haven't had a banana boat for years. Love the S'mores fabric. Always wondered what kum bah yah meant. Enjoy your campfire.

Mariliz said...

Yum....bananas and peanut butter! I miss my sewing machine, I really need to get it fixed.

Marcia Wachuta said...

Did my post and linked up with you and Sharon! What a cool idea! Love your bananas!

QuiltSue said...

I'm sorry I can't really join in. I've only ever been camping once in my life. I was about 7 and we lived in Australia The first night, the campsite got flooded out and we came home the next day as our tent and everything in it was soaked!

So I can't give campsite recipes, or songs or projects. I'm sorry.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Hi Tonya - just doing an afternoon check-in. Glad to see you are getting some comments. Hope your swim cooled your down - I am baking!! We are suppose to start cooling down tomorrow - if I can survive - my son even dropped by to check on me and grandma - brought bags of ice and cold drinks - good kid.