to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, July 8, 2011

Hand Embroidery: Straight Stitch and Running Stitch

When I posted a poll awhile back asking what techniques people wanted to learn the most, Embroidery came in second place. I explained to you that I would wait to see what the other blogs are doing before I teach you more about embroidery. Then I got to thinking...I am wanting my blog to 'morph' into a great resource for learning. There is no need to re-invent the wheel. I just need to point you to the spokes to help you along your way! So, at least for now, I will be 'resourcing' embroidery for you.

When Helen came out with her Stitched Sunday Post this last week I was VERY impressed. This is EXACTLY what I envisioned when I considered teaching embroidery via my blog. She took the time to teach the stitches in great detail. If you follow along and do her suggestions, then you will have a completed Stitch book when you are done. (Also what I was thinking...but, hey, she did all the work for me, right?!)

Straight Stitch and Running Stitch are the perfect stitches to start with. You can find Helen's instructions on these stitches RIGHT HERE.

If you are more of a video type person, Here is a video of the Running Stitch.
I couldn't find a video of the straight stitch, but it is so easy I am sure that is why!!

There are other posts about Embroidery up top under the Embroidery Tips button. I have discussed stabilizers, floss, and other things in the past, so have a look around and let me know if you have any questions.

9 comments:

sweetybird09 said...

Thanks for this, I do stitchery from time to time and this helps!

Have a good weekend!

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

neato, thanks! I'd like to be able to be fluent in embroidery for fun stitching on clothes and such, even if i'm not hardcore. hehe

Healthier And Wealthier said...

I embroidered so much as a teenager believe it or not. Haven't done it in years. Might be fun to pick it up again. Thx. Following you.
Sandra

Stray Stitches said...

Thanks for the different links. I don't think you can ever have too many resources for quilting or embroidery.

Belinda said...

Loving that link! Thanks for the help Tonya!!

krisgray said...

So agree - no need to reinvent the wheel. Resource links are great! Reminds me of one of my fave quotes from library school, "next to knowing is knowing where to find out."

Toyin O. said...

Very informative, thanks for sharing the links:)

Fiona@BubzRugz said...

It's wonderful to have all these tips available....
Hugz

Tracy said...

Tonya, thanks for joining my blog. i look forward to visiting your site often. :)