to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, July 15, 2011

English Paper Piecing: Sewing them together

Today I am going to show you several methods of sewing your English paper pieces together. This is probably the most argued step of the process!

First, let's start with the most common. The whip stitch. You just put two pieces right sides together, and then whip stitch using a matching thread. Positive--fast, easy. Negative--stitches show on front.

I don't like this method as I don't like the stitches to show.
I actually like to butt up my two pieces. I still whip stitch but if you hold them side by side instead of right sides together then your stitches won't show.
Positive: More durable than other stitches, threads won't show  Negative: harder to 'get the hang of'
(I could not get the camera to focus and I looked all over the web and couldn't find a freebie photo or video,
but you just 'butt' the sides together.)

My Sister is making a hexagon charm quilt right now.
Her preferred method is actually a running stitch. 
You really should Visit here to read how to do this method.

Another popular method that I haven't tried yet is the ladder stitch.
You can find a great tutorial of it over at A Few Scraps.
The tutorial states that you cannot see your stitches this way, 
so it does intrigue me. 

But, This post at Texas Freckles talks about how she has tried all of the methods and after sewing hundreds of hexagons, she feels that whip stitching will hold up the best. 
Only she doesn't butt them up edge to edge. 
AAARRRGGGHHH...You will just have to use your imagination,
or if you know of anyone that has a nice video of this method please share!



5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Another technique that people have to research and try each style to find their comfort zone. **having trouble with my blog with comments/replies - so thank you for visiting and commenting**

Stray Stitches said...

I use the whip stitch and usually the stitches don't show through on the front side. The ladder stitch does look interesting but I don't think I would like the running stitch. Thanks for the links to all of the different techniques.

Linda said...

I did a little poking around the internet with your links on sewing them together and I think I will start with the whip stitch. Looks the easiest for a beginner. We shall see :)

Heather said...

I'm using the running stitch because I'm lazy. lol But I'm whip stitching at the corners to hold them together tightly. So far I have about 1'X2' of hexi's sewn together... many, many more to go!

D said...

I'm a whipstitch girl for this method of piecing...When i use the right type of thread and get a good rhythm down...I don't have too much trouble of the stitches showing...that doesn't mean they never show! But I kind of like the stitches showing sometimes...it can be a sign of a project's personality. If you would like Tonya- If you would like, I'll post some photos of a project i'm working on now on my blog and link back to this post once I get it posted. Its fun...a red, white and black tumbling block pattern.