to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Saturday, July 2, 2011

English paper piecing: Post 1

Ready to learn English Paper Piecing...Hillbilly style?
This will be a very slow process.
I don't have a blog project planned for now.
(Although if there is interest along the way, let me know and I will plan one!)

English paper piecing has been a hot topic in blog land. 
Mostly because of the little hexie flowers. 
I shared with you that, although I like the flowers, 
they may not be my thing...with ONE exception...
I LOVE the hexie flowers that are fussy cut.
("Fussy cut" means to specifically cut a section of the fabric so a certain design shows up on the flower.)
I have asked Linda From Stray Stitches if she would allow me to share some of her finished hexie flowers.
She does such a cute job of them!
 (Actually I love her blog. She really puts alot of thought into each post. You should pop over and visit if you don't follow her already. She is really interesting, and covers so much more than just quilting!)
These first two are non-fussy cut flowers:


And here are some of her fussy cut flowers.
(Yep, I gotta make some of these someday!)


English paper piecing does not stop with Hexagon shapes!!!
Here are some other shapes that I am working on:

I actually am working on a project that might take me quite a while to do, 
but I am enjoying working on it in the car and such.
I have done some trial and error things by way of learning that of course I want to share with you.
Next week I will do a list of resources and some more ideas,
then the week after I will get more into techniques. 



10 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Aren't Linda's flowers fun? I've made a few to use as embellishments - as far as a large project - that's questionable.

Pat said...

Those flowers look fun - I prefer the fussy cut ones too :) xx

Linda said...

I love ALL these Hexie flowers and those other templates look awesome too. I want to learn how to do it as accents, but yeah, a whole quilt... Yikes! I'm not ready for that just yet!

Jill@northstarquilting said...

I've always wanted to try english paper piecing. I'm not so keen on the hexagons but I'd love to make a quilt with diamonds like this one: Hand pieced hexagons. Can't wait to learn with you

Heather said...

Those fussy cut hexi's look so neat! I'm working on some hexi's right now. I want to try some of the other charm shapes but I promised myself not to start another project until I finish another! :)

Belinda said...

Those are just awesome! Looks like a lot of fun.

Fiona@BubzRugz said...

Those are cute and I enjoy Linda's posts too... such a lot of interesting things...
Hugz

Wanda said...

What wonderful directions. I love your tutorials. Thanks for them, I had forgotten about the hexigon/kite flower. Thanks for reminding me.

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/

Wanda said...

You won on BubzRugz blog! How wonderful for you.

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/

D said...

I LOVE paper piecing...it is great for taking on trips where I will be sitting (drs. visits, car rides, hospital visits, tv time... you get the point) It is very fun and great for those points or curves that sometimes like to deal us fabric artists a fit!