to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Things to Learn: Portrait Quilts

(I've edited the medical page for those that are interested. Thank you.)

Every single time that I see a portrait quilt,
I think it just takes my breath away. 
It looks so intricate, so realistic.
I have done many a photo quilt, 
but a portrait quilt...now that is a keepsake!

And this book is going to help me learn this art:

After reading all of the reviews by other quilters
it actually looks like obtaining realism might just be possible.
And the best part--I don't need to know how to draw.
We use photos and a photo editing program.
(Such as Gimp--free!)

Isn't that amazing?

Now, what is neat about these portrait quilts,
I can actually use some of the other techniques that I discussed earlier in the week
 to make some really neat back grounds.
You'll just have to wait and see what I mean when the time comes.

Time.

That is something that I am going to have to figure a way to find more of.
Because if I want to learn all these techniques that I've shown you this week,
then I am going to need to have a lot more time set aside for quilting than I do now.
I'll find it somewhere!


10 comments:

Pat said...

I'm sure you will find the time - and the results I know will just be amazing!

Marcia said...

Just read the medical journal-hope you get some results soon, so you can get some relief. I had forgot that I had trouble with my (sp?)siatic nerve when my second child was about 15 months. I had to stop carrying him and we just did things differently. I couldn't lift him into the crib, so we put his mattress on the floor. Sounds like you are figuring those things out too.

I love the portrait quilts too. When you figure out how we can do it all, let me know the plan and I will hope on board!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You have shown quite a diverse field of quilting the last few days. As part of our guild program committee - we are booking portrait speaker and a class for the fall.

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

holy crap! I've never even seen these before! That's amazing!!

Belinda said...

I'd like to think I could be successful doing something like this.... Hmmmm. And who in the world would I create??? Hmmmm. Food for thought.

Read your journal. Girl, I am so sorry for all your pain and woe. I hope and pray you aren't meant to deal with this for the long haul.

Stray Stitches said...

I'm sure you will master the art of portraits and I'm going to enjoy watching your progress.
Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing so much pain. I hope you are able to get some relief soon.

Mariliz said...

The art quilts are amazing. I don't think my skill level is up to par for this type of quilt. Sending prayers and positive thought for your knee and shoulder healing quickly.

Snoodles said...

Just checked your med. post....still praying for relief from the pain, and for peace while you wait for the MRI. Without getting too preachy, I also pray that you will feel His arms holding you and comforting you, my friend.
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Heather said...

I think I like these quilts the best! I might have to change my vote!

Talin's Corner said...

I actually saw the portrait (man leaning on tree) in person at the Quilt By the Lake summer program two years ago. It is absolutely breathtaking.