to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Things to learn: Paper Piecing

(NOTE TO NANNY, HUBBY, AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO IS IMPATIENTLY WAITING ON STEPHEN TO BLOG. HE HAS A CERTAIN PHOTO THAT HE IS TRYING TO WORK OUT,
AND HE WILL BE HERE SOON! HE WANTS TO MAKE SURE HIS POST IS PERFECT YOU KNOW!)

As I have been reading comments about the poll over on the side,
I have noticed that many of you don't know about some of those type of quilting techniques.
So over the next week I will explain them to you and what I'm planning to use to teach them to myself.
It is nice that the poll allows you to change your vote...
as you may want to before I am done!
(You non quilters vote for the type that looks the neatest/coolest to you.)

Since paper piecing is winning right now
(although not by much), I'll start with that today.
Paper piecing is not something that I'll be learning new.
In fact, when I started quilting, paper piecing is what made me fall in love with quilting.
This was only my second finished quilt;
and was very easy using paper piecing techniques.

Once you figure out how to paper piece,
you won't believe that you ever thought it to be hard.
All you have to do is follow the lines!

I am currently wanting to make a Judy Neimeyer Quilt.
Her patterns are wonderful!
I am in love with these:



All images above can be found on her website Quiltworx.

I am not saying that we would start there on the blog though.
(Although they are easier than they look and I'd be willing to show you how).

Rather, we'll probably start with a pattern from
 my other favorite paper piecing website -- equiltpatterns.com.

I think their Diamond Jubilee Modules FOUND HERE
would be great for us to do a Learn a Long with.
Here is a sample of some of them to choose from:

We could make a great sampler quilt.
Or we could choose a simple landscape project.
There are many to choose from there as well,
but here is one example:


So, tell me, what are you thinking...
those of you that voted for paper piecing? 
Does any of this interest you?

9 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

Ooo! Landscape quilt! I am SO in!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I do a lot of paper piecing - but willing to play what ever the choice.

Snoodles said...

I am so ready to learn this!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Marcia said...

I really like paper piecing! It gives you really precise lines. Sounds like a perfect technique to start with!

Pat said...

I would like to vote that everyone send their finished quilts to me for inspection. :lol:
Seriously, I will enjoy seeing whatever quilting creations you all come up with xx

Linda said...

Well I didn't vote for paper piecing but, holy moly, the landscape quilt is amazing. I would want to learn that!! Are there beach theme versions of that?

Heather said...

I've done paper piecing in the past & really loved it! I think it's a lot easier then at first site. :) I love that landscape quilt. :)

Michelle May (Shell) said...

I love paper piecing! I have some granny nannies left over from the 90's! Did you ever do them? They are too cool!
xx, shell

Belinda said...

Lovin the landscape quilt idea....hmmmm