to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Monday, June 6, 2011

Things to Learn: Lone Star Quilts

(edit: Oops I accidentally hit publish, I meant to publish this on Tuesday since Stephen just posted.
Sorry for the back to back posts!)

It seems we have quite a bit of interest in learning to paper piece. 
For the next several days I am going to show you some of the other types of quilts
and/or techniques that I plan to learn in the future. 
(and then I am going to watch that poll bar to see how often the votes change, LOL)

I have had an interest in Lone Star Quilts for a long time,
but when this book came out--I just fell completely in love all over again!

I really like that Barbara Cline takes you step by step,
starting simple then adding a technique with each new quilt/lesson.

I also have this Lone Star book that I want to work through.

The quilts in this book are dynamic!
She doesn't quite take you as step by step though.
She kind of explains it all up front,
then gives you the patterns.
So, I think the book by Barbara Cline will be a better learning tool to start with.
Between the two, I plan to be making some beautiful quilts!!!
(Want to Learn-A-Long with me?)

Finally, after working through those two books,
I'd like to work through the companion book to the one just above.

This book teaches how to use diamonds to make really great backgrounds.
It is hard to show you without scanning in photos of the book,
but I can't do that because of copyright.
The diamonds make some really nice colorwash type backgrounds.
Here is one photo from their website:
(but it doesn't do the book justice.)

So there you have it. 
I cannot wait to get started on Lone Star Quilts.




8 comments:

Snoodles said...

Wow, those look awfully intricate! The instructions would have to be step by step for lil ole me! Looking forward to our projects!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Morning Tonya - oh, Lone Star - they give me the willies!! Don't know why, might be the slant as my brain won't slant.

Heather said...

I made a lone star christmas quilt several years ago. It turned out great! I think this will be a great technique for others to learn!

Belinda said...

I LOVE the diamond backgrounds. Wow. The Lonestar looks very intense.... I'm skeert.

Stray Stitches said...

I look forward to watching your progress on such a beautiful design.

BubzRugz said...

This will be fun.....
Hugz

rubyslipperz said...

Lone Star quilts are really pretty...I took a class from Blanche Young, when she first came out with her book...(I know...I AM old!). It takes patience...mine ran out before I was half way thru. Maybe, tho, I should try it again...30 years later. =)

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

The Tame Lion said...

Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful!