to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Seth's Herbs: Lavender

Recently, I received a request to do a blog post about Lavender.

The scent of lavender is very soothing. Besides soothing tension, calming jittery nerves, relieves headaches, and soothes colic.

Strangely enough, it's also a stimulant. It stimulates the circulatory system and appetite.

This remarkable plant can be a pain killer, it has anti-bacterial qualities, it repels bugs, and is also an anti-depressant.

Surprisingly, lavender is very good for upset stomach. It reduces bile, treats motion sickness, and may even reduce the side effects of cancer.

But perhaps the BEST thing about lavender, it gets rid of stomach gas! LOL



Plant lavender in a well, drained fertile soil. It likes full sun.

Harvest your lavender by gathering early in the morning, in the middle of summer.



Use Lavender in tinctures, or use it's essential oil for many things, including hair rinse, massage oil, or bath oil. You may freely use the flowers in baths, compresses, salves,  or in wine, cooking, baking, and drinks.

Making essential oil is easier than you think! Check out this video just using almond oil or olive oil....




Until next time,
SETH

9 comments:

Linda said...

Seth, Thank you for the tips! I have a lavender plant bursting with flowers so this was perfect timing :)

Wilma NC said...

I love lavender!!!!

Heather said...

Great info, Seth! I didn't get any lavendar planted in my garden this year but I will be sure to get some next year!

Belinda said...

Seth, I planted Lavender from seeds two years ago. The first year nothing happened. I thought it was a bust. They came up the second year and were full and I was a happy camper. This year, they are gone. I don't know what happened. I suppose I have to replant every year? Hmmm. They were in a container that I kept well watered, but just disappeared. Oh well, seeds are cheap. :) Thanks for the information!!!

Marcia Wachuta said...

Seth - great information about lavender! I planted herbs mostly because I love the scents! I love basil and oregano. This year I am growing peppermint so I loved your post on that. I should try lavender next year! Thanks again for the information! Marcia

Sara G said...

Lavender is one of my favorites. I had some scents to spray on the bed before bed time and was so soothing! Purple is my favorite color too. Thanks Seth!

QuiltSue said...

Thanks for the info Seth. I knew lavender was soothing, but I didn't know all the other things it would do.

Mariliz said...

I planted lavender in my garden this year. It is looking great. I can't wait to try it for a few of the uses you listed.

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a beautiful photo. I love lavender...love looking at it.. smelling it...using it in creams...wearing it AND stitching it...
Beautiful post and I can almost smell it from here!