to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, June 3, 2011

Seth's Herbs: Herbal Tea

A few weeks ago,
I promised to show you how to make a catnip/rose tea.
Before I get into details, let's explain the benefits.

Catnip is one of the safest herbs to use.
It is very calming which is why I like it for tea.

Rose has many uses, but here I am using it for flavor.
I also used a bit of rosemary today. It is calming and the taste isn't bad.

My mom likes it when I add mint to the teas. 
(Mom is typing this and added that last sentence. HINT HINT )

Making Tea:

Prepare your herbs. (Your dried herbs should always be stored in a dark, cool place.) You can grind them. We'll talk about grinding in more detail another day, but it really doesn't benefit the tea, so I don't grind mine for tea.

Once you pick out your herbs, set them to the side. Next, bring four cups of water to just under the boiling point. This will yield three cups of tea.



Remove from heat. Toss in your herbs. For four cups of water,
I use a pinch or two of each herb.
. It is supposed to be one ounce but my scales don't measure that small.
I make my tea strong...and I'll explain more in a minute.

Let sit for around 20 minutes. 
Pour it through a strainer, into a bowl.
This will remove the big chunks.

This is what it looks like after it is strained.
There is still some tea left in the plant part, I squeeze it into a cup.
You can use the plant material for compost.
Or for making paper.
I'll teach that someday.
There are still plant pieces in the tea:

Now, put a coffee filter onto a fairly large cup.
It must hold four cups.
Poke the filter inside, then turn the edges over the cup and rubber band it.

Now, gradually pour the tea into the filter.

In this photo, I didn't pre-strain the plants in a strainer,
and I had to empty the filter alot.

After you are done filtering,
squeeze out the excess tea from the filter,
and now you have a successful tea!

You should not drink your tea all at once.
Sip it through out the day. 
I made mine strong because mom likes to add hot water to heat it back up.

Be sure and research all plants before use. 

---SETH---








9 comments:

Marcia said...

I have recently started drinking tea! I will have to try your recipe, Seth. Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

Seth, this sounds yummy! I love tea in the afternoon. I will have to try it one day :) Thanks for sharing your recipe!!

Mariliz said...

Catnip tea? Wow, now I'm really curious, I think I need to plant some more herbs in my garden.

Tonya said...

Its Seth and its no problem sharing i love to help!
Yes i love catnip tea Mom fell asleep while drinking it one day its VERY calming!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I don't think my kittie would like to share her cat-nip. I plant for her - fresh during the summer and dry it, store, and use it in little toys during the winter.

Snoodles said...

Uh oh! I can foresee some humans snitching catnip from their kitties! LOL
Thanks for the recipe and the instructions, Seth! I love me some tea...I'll give it a try.
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Belinda said...

Oh, I'd love to try that sometime. Do you know if it has any caffeine in it? That might be a stupid question, but since regular tea does, I was curious. :) Thanks Seth!!

Heather said...

Great post Seth! I would like to know how you dry your herbs. Maybe you can use that as a post topic one day. Also, maybe we can trade a couple strawberry plants for some different mixed bags of tea? I don't have a very green thumb but I know you do! :S

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Sounds wonderful! I'll be right over!
xx, shell