to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Monday, June 27, 2011

Mode swings.

Mood swings...we all have them.
Trust me, my husband knows just when to go out and buy the chocolate!


But today I am not talking Mood Swings.
 I am talking Mode Swings! Do you all get Mode swings?
I am a Mode Swingin' kind of gal.(someone needs to write a song about that.)
Although I am a woman and can easily multi-task,
I get into these modes. Like a blogging mode.
When I am into a blogging mode about a billion ideas pop into my head,
and I could write more blogs than you'd ever want to read.

Or a cleaning mode and I'll find myself scrubbing even cabinet doors and (carefully) cell phones.
(these things do need cleaning, you know.)

Right now in my quilt world I am in a Learning Mode.
I want to learn everything! I've already shown you all the techniques that I want to learn.
In fact I spent a whole week showing them to you.

I was in an embroidery learning mode.
I really have checked out all kinds of library books,bought books, and read blogs.
 There are TWO really awesome embroidery learning blogs going on right now.
On our little side bar pole, embroidery is one of the top picks.
But I am going to wait, follow these two blogs, and see what they come up with.
 You will find them on my side bar.
 Click on the button for "Embroidery 101 with Clover and Violet" and click on "Stitched Sundays".
 They both promise to teach stitches.
 I had in mind to go into greater detail with types of linens and even some history,
 and I probably will eventually, after we see what they do.


So, what else am I up to learning?
Thanks to Lisa--the Inspired Quilter, I now am stuck in an English Paper Piecing mode.
She sent me these papers and fabric:

Here is the hexagon flower I made:
But, I am not all about hexagon flowers.
I think it will be fun to do some with fussy cutting, but I wanted to see what else was out there.
I did some looking and I found all kinds of wonderful ideas....like intricate stars.
(I love intricate stars...and they are so accurate doing them this way.)
I will be sharing my findings with you.
Oh, yes...another thing to "Learn Along With Hillbilly."


Which brings us to my new  "Learn-A-Long with Hillbilly" Schedule:

Starting tomorrow we will be doing Foundation Paper Piecing.
Posts will be Tuesday and Thursday.
It will be a one block easy design this week, and a more intricate landscape pattern starts next week.
We will move slowly so that everyone can easily keep up.

Starting Saturdays we will also "Learn-A-Long with Hillbilly" ENGLISH paper piecing.
Why? Because I learned some techniques last week that you may not know about,
and because there is more to this method than Hexie Flowers,
and because I am in a mode. So there!

The Learn a Longs  have separate tabs up top so that you can find all the steps easily.
And will it be overwhelming to do both?
 NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!
Did I stress that enough? I don't like having more than a project at a time going--with one exception.
I like having a machine project (foundation paper piecing) and a hand project (English paper piecing.)

Don't be afraid to learn new things!!
 I have been for years in my quilting and I've missed out on so much.
Get into a mode and Learn right along with me!

10 comments:

Madame Samm said...

I am here and will be back tomorrow..I am ready Tonya...for paper piecing 101...what if you don't like chocolate? lol

Heather said...

This sounds great! I can't wait to see what I'm going to learn!

Stray Stitches said...

I look forward to your lesson in paper piecing!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have a couple of PP projects sitting, so I will work on those along side you.

Marcia Wachuta said...

Great idea! I love the logo. I grabbed your logo of the Learn Along with Hillbilly and put it on my sidebar and linked it to your blog for everyone to click and come over and join your learn along!

Get us all in the learning MODE! I like it!

Snoodles said...

Can't wait! Paper piecing, here I come!
Jacque in SC

Linda said...

Oh Tonya, I am so excited about this learn Along! I love to learn new things! I have been so busy lately and need some me time so Tues/Thurs will be just that! (I'm crossing my fingers and toes:)

Fiona@BubzRugz said...

ooooh... fun, fun, fun..... I have wanted to try paper piecing.. do you promise not to make me into an addict????... cos I have too many.... haha
Hugz

rubyslipperz said...

I'm jumping...(and, parts of me are jiggling...no photos, I promise!)...for JOY! I will be fun to "watch-along" even,if I don't sew...don't be mad if I don't sew every time...k? please? =)

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

Sherry said...

You seem to be overflowing with creativity. I love to see the new things you are doing. Paper piecing is something I have wanted to learn. So many things, so little time. I received your package, thank you so much for the pattern and fabric. I will post about it as soon as I get the chance. I am getting ready to head for Wisconsin to be with my daughter, her baby is due on July 1st.