to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, June 10, 2011

Learn to Learn!

I have enjoyed this week of highlighting all the different types of quilting that I'd like to learn to do. 
It seems over the years that I have been in a rut. I learned the basic technique of quilting...
and stayed there. 
I have never, nor will I soon get the chance to take classes or join a guild.
I doubt that I would enjoy that anyway. 
But, if I have learned anything in my life, it's that I need to learn!
I spend countless hours pounding it into my kids' heads that learning is so important.

Somewhere along the way, I forgot to practice what I preach.

I think most of it comes from fear. 
I am kind of that way.
I fear rejection. I think I even fear rejection from my quilts.
Is a hot dog bun going to reject a hot dog?

No, and neither will my quilts reject me.


I am going to quote a paragraph from that portrait book that I showed you yesterday:

I always tell my students, "Don't worry-it will only ruin all your fun."Losing the fear of 'ruining the (quilt)' is the best antidote to actually ruining it.So don't worry. ...Don't listen to the whisper of the inner critic who says you are not good enough.


Wow, I am thinking she was talking right to me there!!


On a final note,
when I a plan these little learning journeys for us,
I really don't want to re-invent the blog wheel.
I don't want to do something everyone else has done.

Let's take embroidery for example.
I someday want to design a sampler that teaches every aspect for embroidery.
But, for now, if you are wanting to learn embroidery, then follow 
Embroidery 101 by Clover and Violet..
The clickable button is on my sidebar.
They are just getting started, so let's join in!

Also, I will speak on block design in more detail someday.
But for now I highly encourage you to follow
He really does a great job of helping YOU design quilts.
Tell him Hillbilly sent you.
 I think he doesn't know what to think about me sometimes.
He replied only once to my comment,
and in it he said he didn't like referring to a Hillbilly.
He must not know just how nice a hillbilly can be. 

In close...
Just don't be scared to learn!
We will start our journey very soon.
The vote will probably be taken down next week.
Thanks for being willing to go on a learning journey with me!

12 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It's good to learn new things - stretch our boundaries. Have fun exploring.

BubzRugz said...

So true... if we stop learning we will fizzle up...
Hugz

Snoodles said...

When I was homeschooling, I kept this quote posted prominently in our home:
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." (Yeats) I tell myself pretty often, that it still applies to me! Looking forward to your lessons and tips!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Stray Stitches said...

I'm an old dog still learning new tricks! I look forward to learning with you.

Belinda said...

You're a good egg! I'm looking forward to beginning the lessons.

Marcia said...

I love learning new things from others and I love sharing the things that I do know. I like your idea of referring to those who have the information ready and available just with a click. It is also more FUN to learn together!

Mariliz said...

I'm looking forward to learning some new things!

rubyslipperz said...

I'm afraid too! Not afraid to start...but, it's the finish product that I'm afraid of...maybe, once it's finished it will be judged?...too harshly by me? or maybe it won't live up to expectations of others? I dunno...

I look foward to your learning journey... =)

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Great advice- keep on learning!

Sara G said...

"So don't worry. ...Don't listen to the whisper of the inner critic who says you are not good enough."

The inner critic that lies most of the time. This goes for anything we do! We are not to worry. Big hugs!

RonJoe 'Geezer' said...

I'll be 65 in October and I still enjoy learning new things, especially on the computer. Of course there are some things I don't care to learn like skateboarding and sky diving! No way Jose! :-)

Pat said...

Yep! Don't you listen to that inner critic now - cos this outer one tells you that your work is just outstanding!