to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Learn Along With Hillbilly: Paper Piecing


I had a question about the difference between paper piecing and English paper piecing.
Today we are going to be learning FOUNDATION PAPER PIECING.
We actually will sew right to a foundation (in this case paper) and then remove the foundation when finished.
The pattern will be drawn right to the foundation, and you follow the lines when you are sewing.
This technique makes very intricate patterns much easier than you would think.

ENGLISH PAPER PIECING is where you have little shapes of paper,
and you use them as your templates to sew shapes that are hard to do by machine.
They are very accurate when done by hand, and actually quite relaxing.
An example of English Paper Piecing are the Hexagon Flowers that are so popular right now.
But 'hexies' are just the beginning of English Paper piecing.
 I will show you more about this technique later this week on our Saturday Learn a Long.

But for today let's get back to the original Foundation Paper Piecing plan.
Our first pattern is a scrappy paper pieced heart, and was kindly supplied by Marcia.
Here are several photos of hearts that she has made using this pattern:
Adorable!





Please pop over and thank her for sharing this pattern!

What you will need:
  • 1 sheet of foundation paper (I'll explain paper at the bottom of this post)
  • Printer to print the pattern onto the foundation paper
  • scraps for your heart
  • the pattern...available RIGHT HERE.

Just like every other thing having to do with quilting, 
paper for your foundation is a matter of opinion--
and there are several options.
Some use the normal Foundation papers for paper piecing
(by Carol Doak or some other manufacturers.)
Some use Vellum---available at your office supply store.
Some use regular typing paper.
Me? I use a cheap scribble tablet of paper.
The scribble papers are larger and may need trimmed to fit your printer..

After you learn the heart, then next you may start on this:

You need to buy the pattern,
available RIGHT HERE.
You might also start collection fabrics.
We will start at the top first and work our way down
(very slowly---only a couple of blocks per week),
so work on getting your sky and mountain fabrics first.

And PLEASE let me know if you are going to Learn Paper Piecing Along with Hillbilly.
Thanks! If you have questions...ask away!

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Tonya, I am very tempted to give the landscape one a go, I have tried paper piecing before I don't mind the technique but it's not one I regularly use, I don't know why;o)I have a log cabin one in my UFO pile I would love to finish, maybe I'll work on that one instead. I am looking forward to learning new techniques in the future too, so thanks for all the hard work you are putting into it!

sweetybird09 said...

I have never done any of the things that you blog about, I am a knitter, but I really appreciate seeing and learning new things along the way so I can broaden my crafting horizons....

Thanks

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

I definitely want to do this! I'm not sure it'll be right now. I may watch you guys do it and come back to the instructions later. :)

Madame Samm said...

Ahhh thank you for this Tonya...I am ready... just printing out my heart now...

Heather said...

Not that I don't already have a million things to make & that I already know how to do this technique but I will be joining you. :) I would like to see the hearts sewn together for a charity quilt. I hope we can get enough- if not, I can make a few extra!

Stray Stitches said...

I probably won't join in but I am definitely going to watch the process and will print out the instructions for future use.

Madame Samm said...

Ohh I just print today right...and gather my pieces...come back???

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Morning Tonya - I will work on Regina Grewe's "Garden Party" blocks along side you.

I actually use regular ole' printer paper for foundation.

Marcia Wachuta said...

I love paper piecing! Of course I have made the Heart before and I will make the heart along with you on Thursday. I like the idea of the charity quilt. I would offer to do the quilting for it, if someone else pieces the quilt top! I am looking forward to the Landscape one also! I use "Cheap" copy printer paper and yes it is a little harder to tear, but it works. I like the idea of the scribble paper. I never thought of that.

And thanks for the nice mention...I am glad I had the pattern to share. I created the paper pieced heart for a quilt for a Breast Cancer fundraiser. I am getting some nice thank yous!

Thanks! Marcia

Belinda said...

I like the idea of the charity quilt too. I'm going to join you. I hope I can get it done... ;) The next one is awesome and I really want to do that!!
Thanks to Marcia for offering to quilt it!!! I would give piecing the top my best effort. It might not be up to standards, but it would be from the heart. No pun intended.

Fiona@BubzRugz said...

I have done a little foundation piecing so I am enjoying reading and getting tips but I won't be joining you in the landscape.... it will be great fun to see how everyone does....
Hugz

Snoodles said...

I will make some hearts too, so I hope we can make something from all of them! (Shudders) That landscape one scares me, though....I may watch ya'll do that one! LOL) Printing my pattern now!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com