to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, May 20, 2011

Seth's Herbs: That's no weed!

Hi! Seth Here!
I promised catnip today.
Well, I am sorry but I broke that promise simply because there is another
more useful herb that is very plentiful this time of year.

You know that "weed" dandelion?
Well--it isn't a weed. 
It's secretly the most safe and useful herb in the world.
Bet you didn't see that coming!


It fights diabetes, helps aid in weight loss,
helps with PMS, body detoxification, and rejuvenation.
It also helps with liver, digestive, skin ailments, 
along with kidney ailments. 
Dandelion is also a high source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, 
and micro nutrients as well as lecithin.
Dandelion also stimulates liver function and digestion.
It also is being tested to see if it helps with breast cancer.

Now isn't that great? That's only half of the things that dandelion is good for!

Dandelion has no reported dangers to your body,
no cautionary drug interactions, 
and all parts of the plant can be consumed.

The flower part makes good tea and wine,
fritters and seasoning.

Roots can be steamed, broiled, roasted, 
and toasted for coffee.

The leaves are bitter, 
but the bitterness vanishes with bread.



Gather the root in the fall. 
The rest you can gather anytime.

Here is the tea that I mentioned.

Basic Herbal Tea

Begin with 1 oz of dried herb
or 2 oz of fresh herb.
(I do a pinch or two of dried herb).
Bring 4 cups of water to just under the boiling point.
Pour over the herb and let it sit for around 20 minutes.


Well, that's it!
Good bye for now!
--Seth--

5 comments:

Pat said...

Its one of the most useful herbs I do have in my kitchen! Though I must admit, I use the tincture :)

Belinda said...

I sure have an abundance of that in my yard Seth! Never knew how useful it could be. Thanks for the information!!

Snoodles said...

Thanks for the information, Seth! I'm glad to know that there is a use for my large crop of dandelions! LOL
Tonya - I got my four patches done last night! YAY!!! I am SO slow.
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Sara G said...

Wow Seth! I had no idea. Keep up the great work and do share more of your wonderful knowledge!

QuiltSue said...

I wish I'd known this a week ago. I've just spent a lot of time pulling up all the dandelions in our garden!