to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mystery Patchwork Part 3

May for Me Mystery Quilt n Stitch Along

If you are just joining us, this is an easy one and you can catch up quickly. 
Just go to the Mystery Quilt tab up top.

Now for the rest of you.
All you should have left of your charm pack is four sets of four matching colors.
That is if you behaved yourself and didn't touch them. *grin*
(this is half of what I have left...two sets of four matching colors)

I am not sure what today's block is called, but I am calling it a windmill.
(Seems appropriate, huh? Works for me!)

Constructing the same way as last week,
match your contrasting blocks up and make half square triangles.
Sharon was so kind to figure the math on these.
 After making your triangles, trim them to 2 7/8".
Then if you sew a scant 1/4" your blocks will come out perfectly!
Before piecing the block together,
lay it all out and piece the top section first:

Lay out the third section, to match the pattern in the top.
Then lay out the fourth section. 
It is the 'oddball' section.
(but it makes the center pinwheel)
Now you can piece the bottom and sew them together.
It is just easier to piece them after you lay them out to see what you are doing.


You should now have all four of the above sections sewn together.
Repeat for all four sections.
Then you can sew the entire windmill together:

If you trimmed your HST to 2 7/8" then your block will come out to 10".
If you didn't trim your HST's then you need to trim now to 10" 
and you will lose some points in your seam allowance.
(Which is how this person ended up making them. 
Live and learn...and be grateful for friendly blogland folk!)


You should make two windmills:

You have one more stitchery design being released on Thursday.
Then next week I will give you the finishing instructions on Monday and Tuesday.
I can't wait to see them all come together!




10 comments:

Wilma NC said...

So we just mix and match the remaining squares to make all the half square triangles? I must be dense this morning, lol.

Belinda said...

I haven't been able to start on this, and may not, but I'm keeping it all so I can do it later. And this little gem gave me an idea for for the future. :) Thanks Tonya!

Linda said...

Wow, when I saw the first pic I got nervous that I couldn't make that block but after reading through it I think I can do this one :) Thanks for the great instructions and pictures to show the steps.

Marcia said...

I clicked on the photos to make them larger. That helps to see how the pieces fit together. The contrast is easier to see that way!
Thanks again. I too, am behind, but I hope to catch up on the weekend and then I will put up some pictures. I love seeing them on everyone's posts!

Heather said...

This is such a pretty block. I hope I can squeeze it in today!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

OK you must trim you HST's down as my finished block came out 11.5" and if I cut down to 10" I lose the shape of the block - I am ribbeting, and will do the math up to obtain the right size.

Snoodles said...

Lovely block! Thanks, Tonya!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Sorry for the delay - quilting class here and then a guild meeting. I trimmed my HST's to 2 7/8" - sew scant 1/4" seams to assemble each section and in block assembly - you get a 10" block with seam allowance that leaves you with your points.

flowerofshona said...

Aw i went off and did mine via the old instructions :(
Need to get some more fabric and re-do them, that will teach me to be so keen !

flowerofshona said...

ok 2nd set look much better and i like the colours better :)